Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 30 Jan 2007 04:39:02 -0800
From:         Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Sinking Vanagon... race video (funny)

Says something about what complexity of technology really gets you... not really sure what, tho. Hmm. Well I'm no engineer, but I think if were to try to make my Vgon into an amphibious vehicle, I would probably finagle of sort of wide, shallow (that is to say, oval through the cross-section) type of pontoon (can you have one pontoon?) that extended past the ends of the vehicle and ended in rounded points- picture a somewhat surfboard-shaped doohickey mounted long-wise under the length of the van, but made to clear the axels and what-not. That way you'd give yourself a 'prow' of sorts. Then I'd add a smaller pontoon to each side where you'd have a running board (can you have an odd number of pontoons?) so they would add buoyancy and act as outriggers (this is assuming you could get the proper amount of displacement within your size constraints). Then I'd fix a kind of paddle-wheel on the outside of the rear wheels (so as to use the native power plant), and attach rudders to the steering, perhaps in fixed position outboard of the front tires- they'd probably have to made to fold in on themselves so as not to interfere with steering on the road and then you'd fold them out before you got wet. If you wanted to be nifty/purist you'd figure out a way to do it so you could just drive into the water without having to alter anything, which should be doable but I don't want to think that hard at 4:30 in the morning. Your paddle wheels, rudders and outriggers couldn't extend out too far sideways so you could still be road-legal, but I don't think they'd have to, to be effective. Steering in the water with rudders in the front is problematic, which is why you don't see it very often (if at all) but I think it could be done. I suppose if you really wanted to you could have a rear-mounted rudder attached to the steering but it'd be slightly more complicated.

?

Cya, Robert

----- Original Message ----- From: "Benny boy" <huotb@VIDEOTRON.CA> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, January 29, 2007 11:02 PM Subject: Sinking Vanagon... race video (funny)