Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 30 Jan 2007 13:28:42 -0800
From:         gary hradek <hradek@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      If the gasket didn't seep,
              the coolant coolant residue wouldn't be there.

Dennis, I have never seen a head gasket as poorly designed as in our vanagon water leakers. The rubber gaskets that acts as a head gasket is poorly fitted for a fixed distance that does not allow shaving your heads. The only real advantage is they are designed to leak or seep for years before the rubber becomes hard and fails completely. I think this is why VW put the "no phosphate" tag on the back of the tank. There is no problem with a small leak that will seal up after the engine get warm, the problem is the corrosion that occurs when the dried coolant eats at the heads. The green stuff is a problem(phosphate salts) where the orange stuff is more like a detergent. CarTalk click and clack says that you can mix the different types but we know what they think of vanagons so I would not trust their intenstions on this issue. Gary

Sent: Jan 30, 2007 5:27 AM >>To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >>Subject: Re: mean greenie Coolant pouring from tail pipe >> >>The orange coolant give you orange meanies and I've seen the VW blue make >>big lumpy messes that actually blocked off hoses. The real problem is not >>the coolant. Over years, I have not seen any real differences in coolant >>problems in maintained systems. As for the meanies after a gasket or hose >>connection seeps, the problem is the gasket or hose. If the gasket didn't >>seep, the coolant coolant residue wouldn't be there. >> >>Probably the biggest problem will cooling systems is the quality of the >>water. If you are using hard tap water, then phosphates and silicates will >>bind with them and settle out of solution. The problem is compounded in >>areas of little flow or slow leak sites. All the heavy duty trucks and >>many diesels demand distilled water. >> >>All antifreeze when mixed with air and heated become corrosive. Add some >>road salt and other road stuff and you have a real mess at any leak. The >>other thinks is whatever type of antifreeze used, Don't mix types. I would >>even be careful of the newer "universal" formulas. >> >>Dennis

____________________________________________________________________________________ Need Mail bonding? Go to the Yahoo! Mail Q&A for great tips from Yahoo! Answers users. http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/?link=list&sid=396546091