Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 31 Jan 2007 10:45:33 -0600
From:         joel walker <jwalker17@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: LVC Re: Long, Big Rant about a Crappy VW Dealership

> Why do I hear problems like this about nearly all VW dealers? Are > there any that people trust and LIKE?

not any more, that i know of. i used to drive four hours to Jim Ellis in Altanta, GA, just to get maintenance done (and buy parts), but all the old guys retired, and the new mechanics and parts people don't know and don't care about anything but money, money, money. same with the sales people ... you can wander around in the showroom for an hour, but if you don't look like a young dumb yuppie, the sales force won't even bother asking if they can help.

i personally blame it all on VWOA ... the head of which once remarked that they hoped one day to be just like Chevrolet. well ... i think they made it. the vw dealer in this town is just about as bad as the Chevy dealer, both in sales and service. :(

and it's not a new thing ... back in 1988, when i went looking for a new bus, i called 25 dealers around the southeast. only ONE of them knew what a vanagon was. and that's pretty sad, when you don't even know your own product line.

but they hire sales people (and mechanics, and parts sellers) because of their experience with SELLING, not with VWs. sold insurance? great, you start tomorrow! sold Fords? great, when can you start? you don't have to know anything about the product, just how to get the customer to sign on the dotted line. :( and if the customer knows less than you, so much the better; just sell him the damned car!

and it's not just vw ... i've had the same experience at a mazda dealer when looking at a pickup truck. and at other brands' dealers. but it seems to matter more to me when it's a vw dealer, cause i can remember back when there was a german speaking guy at each dealership, and he fussed at the americans for not doing it right; and they always came over and talked to you about your beetle or bus. and they always wore those white coats. :)

i guess it costs too much to care about the customer anymore. :(

unca joel