Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 Jan 2007 17:24:40 -0500
From:         Mike <mbucchino@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: buy a daily driver or press the syncro into service?
Comments: To: Raymond Paquette <raymondpaquette@GMAIL.COM>

Raymond, I live in MA and do Summer/Winter swap of license plates/ registration/ insurance 2 times every year, for the past few years to save money. MA RMV requires insurance if it has plates. You can't cancel or suspend insurance without a receipt for turning in the license plate. If you do a summer/winter swap, you're transferring the plates, which allows you to legally eliminate or drastically reduce the insurance coverage on the car that you're not using. That's the law, here. I drive my 911 during the warm months, then do the swap in November and reduce the insurance to cover it in storage (in my garage). Then in spring, whenever I feel ready, I reverse the process, while stopping the insurance to the van altogether. So there's no 'exactly' 6 mos interval requirement, or limitation on how little to insure the de-registered vehicle. The downside is you still have to get inspection stickers (every year, not just every other, like usual), and you still pay the full year's excise tax on both vehicles, even though you're only using them for part-year. That's the price I pay for this atypical arrangement. The cost of a summer/winter swap is $15 each time (re-using the old plates), where the cost of new plates would be $30 - 50 each time, IIRC. I used to live in Phoenix, AZ, so I'm well aware of how cumbersome, restrictive and relatively expensive everything is here in MA.

HTH, Mike B.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Raymond Paquette" <raymondpaquette@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, January 29, 2007 2:45 PM Subject: Re: buy a daily driver or press the syncro into service?