Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 2 Feb 2007 20:52:04 -0500
From:         Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: Friday Curiosity
Comments: To: Mike Miller <mwmiller@CWNET.COM>

Route 50 has its attractions, especially through Colorado and Kansas. I haven't been on the section in Nevada or California (yet). In Colorado, Monarch Pass is very cool (in more ways than one). West of there is a wonderful area for camping. Gunnison Lake and Black Canyon of the Gunnison are also good. East of Monarch pass, you get to travel through the canyon of the Arkansas. I didn't (but my sister did) the little offshoot to the bridge over Royal Gorge, The highest bridge in the world (not withstanding the new Millau Viaduct in France.) Dodge City is on Route 50 in Kansas, and travel through Kansas on Route 50 is MUCH better than on I-70.

Much further east US 50 through West Virginia, Maryland, West Virginia again, Virginia, DC and Maryland (again) will take you through quite a lot of historic areas all the way to the end of the road in Ocean City Maryland (which has a lot of great restaurants.) You also get to see the wonderful sign there showing the distance to Sacremento (the other end of US 50.)