Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 3 Feb 2007 09:13:34 -0600
From:         Jim Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET>
Subject:      Re: What's in YOUR Git Box/Bug-out Bag

I agree with the need for having everything organized so you don't have to pick through stuff and think ahead for even a camping trip. I can't tell you how many times we've been camping with friends or family who ended up without tents, food, footwear and so forth because they "thought they'd brought it." If you want to have what you need, you need to get thinking out of the equation. Whether you're coming home from work and trying to make it to a state park before they close the gate or you plan to hunker down for three days without electricity, the last thing you need to be wasting your time on is figuring out what to take and where to find it.

Our family backpacks and westy-camps, and I spend a certain amount of time outdoors with a photographer for some of the work I do.

We have several levels of readiness organized, depending on what it is we're doing. But we also have some emergency preparedness plans that overlap in general with camping and home cooking in beneficial ways.

First, there's always a daypack hung in my closet with a couple of power bars, , lighter, firestarter, flashlights, GPS, toilet paper and the like. Stuff you'd be crazy to go into the woods without. What we've discovered about being prepared for the woods is this: you don't know why you are going to be in the woods unexpectedly after dark (somebody started throwing up, kid got lost, dog got interested in what some other family was doing, wayfinding more difficult than expected), but just accept the fact that you will and you'll be OK. the pack goes in my car for even a day hike or client work that takes me outdoors.

Then there's the fact that the westy always carries things important to its survival. Tools, bentley, belts, tow strap, oil, funnel, etc.

Then there's the stuff for humans that stays on board always: a change of clothes for two, including jackets; cookware, tableware, flashlights, linen and towels; weather radio, small grundig short wave with AM/FM, plenty of toilet paper and paper towels. This stuff weighs hardly anything, takes the longest to pack into the westy, and if brought into the house eventually gets absorbed into house stuff, at which point you can't find it on a moment's notice.

For camping, Home Depot sells a clean-up tub that just fits under the westy seat. It holds all the hoses, cords, electrical adapters and water regulators and adapters you'd need on the road or in a campground, plus a gallon of diesel. It has a handle on top, and I know exactly which shelf it is on in the garage.

The porta-potty sits next to it.

Next to that is a plastic tub that holds pillows and extra clothing we travel with.

On another shelf in the garage is a plastic tub with backpacking gear like tents, stoves, etc. Two other tubs contain the various sleeping bags in fluffy, unstuffed condition.

We eat very well when camping, and we rely mostly on dehydrated (not freeze-dried) foods which are much cheaper and more interesting and store ten years or so in the cans and pouches they come in. They rehydrate and then can be used like fresh or frozen foods. There are hundreds of kinds of foods available from places like waltonfeed.com. You can make almost anything you make in your kitchen with this stuff, and it keeps for years and years. As I said, we camp with it, but it also is the basis for our emergency preparedness setup. I keep it in cardboard boxes and plastic tubs, along with canned tuna, canned butter, canned cheese, a few MREs, pet food, latex gloves, face masks and even some russian surplus gas masks (at $7.50 each online, why would you not?). The pet food, gloves and paper face masks are important because none of that would be available to you within 20 seconds of the announcement of a major influenza outbreak or anything like that, and you'd need them. My theory is that if you **REALLY** need to make a trip to the store, for anything whatsoever, including meds, you either won't have the time or the ability. Oh, and there's fifteen gallons of diesel fuel stabilized and a gallon of olive oil for cooking. On stuff like the olive oil, we keep a gallon and rotate it into the kitchen so what we have is always fresh.

For backpacking we use a ceramic water filter and pump, and could make clean water out of anything so I don't worry so much about that although we do keep a few gallons on hand for convenience.

Some batteries are kept in the car, but we keep some with the inside stuff too because they last much longer when they don't go through the heat and cold like they do in a car.

Why do we do this? Well, as I said, we camp so will eventually eat all the food anyway, even the long term stuff. We live in a tornado- prone area. The power has been off for days here in the past with ice storms. We live 20 miles from a nuclear plant. We have children, grandchildren and aged parents to think about (I bought cases of MREs for the old folks and keep them at their houses with face masks and rubber gloves. I made sure they understood how to use the heaters).

And then there's the scenario of any of several flue pandemics, which in my opinion is not a "might happen" thing, it is going to happen. If I'm wrong and it doesn't, I'm out about $200 for the consumables even if we don't eat them and nothing for the camping stuff which I use a lot anyway. If I'm right, my family is in relatively good shape for say a month when you either couldn't get to a store or wouldn't want to.

Anybody wanting urls to any of the abovementioned materials just ask and I'll dig it up.

Finally, there's the fact that it all fits in a easily westy or a vanagon, either of them being the presumed getaway vehicle. It would take maybe three minutes to get everything I've mentioned into one of the cars for two reasons: because I know where all of it is, and because I already thought about what I need.

Jim