Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 3 Feb 2007 10:40:11 -0500
From:         Harold Teer <teer.vanagon@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Road trip suggestions

Hi gang,

Summer before last, my wife and I took off on a long van trip from Virginia to the Yukon. We wanted to stay off of the interstate as much as possible and for some hints, used a book "Road Trip USA: Cross Country Adventures on America's Two-Lane Highways." The book provides some nice tidbits of information about towns, things to see, etc. While on US-50 through WV, one bit of information about the upcoming town was something along this order "The most socially and economically depressed town in the most socially and economically depressed state". Having grown up in Louisiana, and being intimately familiar with socially and economically depressed areas, I couldn't wait to see the town to determine how the author came up with that claim. In my opinion, he did WV and that town a great injustice.

We eventually used US-2 across the top of the USA. and the book provided lots of information about the surroundings that helped make the trip memorable.

I highly recommend the book for a general overview of the major two lane roads bisecting the USA. In fact, I need to buy another copy for myself since we gave our copy to a couple of Canadians we met in British Columbia who were heading to the USA for a summer trip.

For table of contents, index, reviews, and excerpts, see: " http://www.amazon.com/Road-Trip-USA-Cross-Country-Adventures/dp/1566913969/ref=si3_rdr_bb_product/102-6665310-2648105 "

Happy traveling,

Harold -- Harold & Faye Teer 1991 Westy Harrisonburg, VA