Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 1 Feb 2007 06:56:31 -0800
From:         Joseph Fortino <fortino1@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: California law (smog)

I feel its all about Money not air.. bottom line is they want you to buy a new car plain and simple i feel.. ok HUMMER?? what a useless car.. lol what will it be like for them on 25 years smog'n that crap?? hehe

Peace, Joe

-----Original Message----- >From: Jim Akiba <syncrolist@BOSTIG.COM> >Sent: Feb 1, 2007 6:29 AM >To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >Subject: Re: California law (smog) > >Well here's where it gets even more complex. Actually we could easily put >all of the emissions gear into the vanagon, the stock cat, the differential >pressure sense EGR, the evaporative emissions system and leakdown gear, the >canister and purge gear, and have all readiness codes set. It doesn't >matter. In such a case the vanagon would achieve and be able to comply with >SULEV vehicle status, but because of the stock transmission carryover >requirement, it makes it all for not. Lot's of CA guys would love an SULEV >vanagon with more power, we've lost more than a dozen sales already because >of these arbitrary restraints. > >Tuner cars are legal so long as the aftermarket equipment has an executive >order from the CARB. A turbo kit for a honda may well have an EO, as all >they need to do is apply and then go through a round of testing to show that >it does not adversly affect emissions beyond applicable limits. CARB has >issued Eos to conversions as well, but is now taking the stance that it is a >BAR matter, and despite our submission of a full application and our >readiness to do the lab testing, refuses to go any further with us because >it is much easier to say no to a company of 3 guys with no lawyers and no >resources to disrupt their bureacratic iso-chamber. And BAR as you recall >says no tranny, no swappy, so we can only convert folks registered in zone >3(rural) in CA. > >Absolutely air quality has improved everywhere... But imagine what it would >be like if it was done well. > >Jim Akiba > > > >-----Original Message----- >From: Jeffrey Schwaia [mailto:jeff@VANAGONPARTS.COM] >Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 7:40 PM >To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >Subject: Re: California law (smog) > >Yep. California is a little pyscho when it comes to their emissions laws. > >Engine swaps are okay, but only if you take everything emissions related >from the donor vehicle and put it in the swap vehicle. That's why late >model engines that are OBD-II are nearly impossible to put in a Vanagon >(sorry Bostig). Oh yeah... the donor engine must be the same year or newer >than the swap vehicle, and the swap vehicle must then meet the emission >standards for the donor engine. > >"Tuner Cars"??? Forget it. > >A lot of the tuner folk, and street racers, will swap their old engines (or >parts) back in every two years to pass the emissions test. > >I know it's stupid and could be handled much better, but I will concede that >California's air quality has improved greatly in the last 20 years. > >Kanpai, > >Jeff > > > >-----Original Message----- >From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM]On Behalf Of >Benny boy >Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 4:01 PM >To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >Subject: Re: California law (smog) > > >Ok, so let say i have a modified car (engine wise), lets say a Honda Civic >SI Tuner... now with a Turbo, Frankinstein engine, improved FI, maped ECU... >modified exhaust? i have to put back a stock engine every 2 yers! > >Or, lets take a Ford Mustang with a modified engine with... just for fun, >let say 8 carbs! something like that!!!! > >What you guys are telling me is that NO "tuner" style car are allowed in CA? > >I understand an engine swap with everything that belong to this engine is >kind of ok, but no crasy Nitro modification... at least at the time of the >test! > >What i find bit crasy about that is an "offset" (not well tune) economic >4cyl Honda may fail that test but a big Hummer in shape will pass!!! tell me >what is the logic in that!!!!!!!!!!! when i travel in the US, you guys are >scaring me with your big SUV/cars.... Navigator style monster.... where not >to get close to the Kyoto Protocol with those big big big vehicles!!!!! >think big :-)))) > >Ben