Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 3 Feb 2007 19:51:28 -0500
From:         Wil Haslup <whaslup@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Dash removal video - How to save streaming video

neil wrote: > Hi Mike.

> Check John Rodgers prior post re FF.

> Yah my older iMac nagged about "missing components" or some such. But > that was because its' version of QT is much older and can't deal with > QT clips created by newer software. (iMovie HD v 6.x)

> My theory is that if I get QT Pro and for a given clip "save as" an > old enough version of .mpeg/mov or .wmv , then most people using older > versions of QT or WMP won't have any problems playing them.

> Any input re which versions of QT or WMP people are using is welcome.

> I'm finding that I can't include everyone, but want to make any future > vids are as user friendly as poss. Not much point in doing them > otherwise!

I think you're on the right track...though I don't think you need Pro. Apple added newer compression/encoding schemes and removed other features from QT7....

I still have the free version of QT6 installed because it lets me encode 360 degree virtual tours from my Canon digital camera via Canon's included software and the QT files. Because of this newer versions of iTunes won't work either...they did for a while but were changed when QT7 came out.

If you install QT7 you end up having to buy additional expensive software to do that.

It's a revenue stream thing...Apple gets more $ from licenses developing software to encode certain things.

I think if you encode for vers. 6 everyone will be safe as people using later versions can still play those.

-- Sincerely,

-- Wil

"Consult the book of armaments." -- Arthur from "Monty Python and the Holy Grail", 1975