Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 3 Feb 2007 21:57:49 -0500
From:         Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: Poptop Raise Assists

Though no one asked I feel a few other comments are in order (I've mentioned them before without the pictures. )

It's a good idea to attach any struts to a strong point on the poptop. In this case I already had a rack mount, which has a reinforcing plate on the inside (invisible in the photos.) That helps spread the load of the lift.

On the lower mounting point, the place chosen was just about as far forward as I could make it (it doesn't look very far forward, and there is a reason for that.) The gating factor here was the existing mechanism, which folds up and would occupy spaces further forward. I also needed to ensure that there was clearence between the gas spring (strut) and the existing mechanism. It was a tight fit using the parts and mounting cups that I had.

When I initially set it up, I used 125 pound struts. These were woefully inadequate and in fact I couldn't even tell if they were installed. I believe I also had on hand 150 pound struts, but again, those simply weren't enough. The 250's were the highest rated I could get in this model. I wouldn't have minded something a little bigger, but them's the breaks. Just encourages me to pack light....

Other folk have stated that they thought I would have mounted them the other way (with the lower mount point further forward). I considered that. But I tried it this way, on the theory that if it didn't work, I could still switch to the other method with only the cost of a hole in the poptop hinge to show my work. As it turns out this was quite adequate, and I didn't pursue the other method.