Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 4 Feb 2007 10:01:12 -0500
From:         Richard Golen <rgolen@UMASSD.EDU>
Subject:      Bay Window Westy Article in Providence Journal and Website

Greetings!

This morning I took the 87 Westy to make a back-road trip to a local coffee roaster to pick up a couple of pounds of fresh-roast. While waiting for the coffee to grind, I noticed the car section of the Providence Journal sitting on the table. On the front page was an article about a restored 68 Camper. I snagged the paper and took it home.

The article talks about the$10K to $12K restoration of a van that once belonged to an old friend, and was restored to honor the memory of the friend, nice sentiment I thought. The owner goes on to say that he uses it with his kids and when the urge strikes to go surfing with his buddies! Cool I thought, honoring a departed friend, having fun with the camper, etc...

But then, for me the "bubble burst"....after reading all about the restoration, departed friend, kids, and other stuff I read the following: "He said he's only put on about 6,000 miles in the last four years....'Now it's nice and clean and it's a great day trip truck'.....he often takes his kids to the beach in the summer...."

Maybe I'm wrong, but 1,500 miles a year as a day trip truck?? Gag! I feel sad for the van, to be relegated as a day tripper...I have much more respect for the couple who traveled for three years through Central and South America and Africa with their VW van, at least they are using the camper for the purpose it was made for...

Oh well....maybe its just me.

If you are interested in the article go to www.projocars.com

Ric