Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 4 Feb 2007 14:50:35 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: The wire harness becomes brittle
Comments: To: TC <trclark@shaw.ca>

There are a number of FI grounds on the body near the coil, and a few on the engine itself. The ground strap direct connects those on the engine to the body. I thought you were referring to the ones now on the body. They are all important and the ground strap is a key part of the system.

All the sensors basically complete a path from the ECU to ground or really the chassis. The readings are basically current sensitive so any voltage drops will confuse things and cause problems. Sometimes, it is helpful to disconnect those grounds for testing and trouble shooting. Put them all together and enclosing them can become a technician's nightmare. Many times I have had to cut a part these types of improvements.

Dennis

BTW- The actual current or electron flow outside of the battery is from - to +. This makes the chassis the source. "Conventional" current flow is what we are taught to help with the concepts. That is why a number of cars years ago where + ground.

-----Original Message----- From: TC [mailto:trclark@shaw.ca] Sent: Sunday, February 04, 2007 2:38 PM To: Dennis Haynes; vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: The wire harness becomes brittle