Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 4 Feb 2007 15:54:26 -0700
From:         Richard A Jones <jones@COLORADO.EDU>
Subject:      one-armed wisdom of viscous coupler
Comments: To: hecht.joy@GMAIL.COM

Joy wrote: > Wadja do to your arm, Richard? You had two of them back when I met you a > few years back... > > Sorry for lack of vanagon content, but hey, I gotta be sympathetic to anyone > who's temporarily one-limbed!

Joy:

Rotator cuff repair with the stock 6 weeks of no arm movement in the sling; I'm on day 11. But a $250 copay got me the best orthopedic surgeon at the university's medical center who patched up a nasty tear and PT will get me back on the road before too long. I'm a lucky guy--there are millions without health coverage and even more around the world without health care--they need our sympathy, and maybe some bucks to folks like Medecins Sans Frontieres.

[I WILL accept sympathy if I have to have the OTHER shoulder fixed! ;-)]

Vanagon content: I can't drive one. I can drive my Jeep Cherokee with the auto tranny. We are in week six of ice and snow covered roads in Boulder. The main roads do melt and dry off between storms, but it's 1-8" of rutty ice and snow in the neighborhood. So I constantly have to flip the Jeep into and out of 4wd as I drive around town. The Syncro is SO nice with the viscous coupling. I am not knocking decouplers but for safe driving and convience, the viscous coupling is perfect and I see exactly why VW put it in a general purpose vehicle rather than a decoupler.

OK, back to rehab.... Thanks for asking, Joy!

Richard Boulder