Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 4 Feb 2007 23:28:48 -0600
From:         Jim Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET>
Subject:      Re: Bay Window Westy Article in Providence Journal and
              Website--tribute cars
Comments: To: Richard Golen <rgolen@UMASSD.EDU>

Actually pretty cool. It's not the van's problem how much it get driven. As far as the owner, this is obviously a tribute vehicle. Why would the owner drive it any more than he has to?

My 83 diesel westy is a bit like this car. When I first heard about it, my friend Kevin called up so excited about finding it. "It's perfect. It's a diesel vanagon camper. I've been looking for one for years. When I get back from my new job in China, you can help me get all the camping stuff figured out and back in it. It's piled in the floor right now. I just paid for it, but it's not tagged, so I just need to store it at your dad's shop."

I drove a 90 Carat. I had absolutely no interest in the car that Kevin was trying so hard to interest me in. I knew nothing about diesels or westies, and no time to learn.

I groaned silently to myself and told Kevin that my dad's shop was too delapidated by now to house the car. He took the bad news well and asked if I could help his parents find a place to put it as he had paid for it before he boarded the plane for his new job. I did that.

Kevin, who was older than me but who my wife, infant daughter and I had been camping with many times in his Bay camper back in the late sixties and early seventies, never made it back from his job in China. He died on that trip. For his funeral, I found myself iced in in New York City in the 24 inches of snow that shut down the town in 2003. I never saw him again and he never got to drive the camper he wanted so badly. Through his parents, I ended up with it. they knew me and they knew I drove a vanagon. I spent many hours trying to get it running for them so they could sell it. But, like the "girlfriend" in The Crying Game, it became part of my life whether I wanted it to or not. By the time I got it running, Kevin's father had died, and I corresponded with his mother about the progress on the car. It seemed important to her then, as it does now, that the car keep going.

It was in pretty good shape mechanically, but Kevin had been deceived about the state of the engine. I dealt with that by joining the diesel vanagon group and learning to replace a head and a lot more. Then the transmission. Then more stuff. Slowly over a year or so, I thought about what Kevin would have wanted and made it into a great car and a great camper.

You can see it at http://knology.net/~felder/Vanagons/

I camped in it to research the one of the first books I wrote and designed, Alabama's Canyons <http://www.amazon.com/Alabamas-Canyons- Bankhead-National-Forest/dp/0976725908/sr=8-1/qid=1170652734/ ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-5797345-6256706?ie=UTF8&s=books>. I am using it now in the development of another outdoor book.

Kevin's infatuation with this van certainly rubbed off on me in ways I did not expect. I never thought I would be its caretaker. I never thought that I, not he, would be traveling the country in this thing.

But here I am. I think about that fact that I am carrying out Kevin's wishes with every mile I drive it and every night and day I spend in it. I think about the miles of gravel and dirt roads we traveled together so many years ago in his campers. If you live in the Boulder, Colorado area and are in your mid-fifties or sixties, you may remember Kevin Philhower. He drove an orange 68 bay at that time.

The camper is a tribute to him, in a way. It doesn't matter how much I drive it. It only matters how much I enjoy it.

Jim