Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Feb 2007 07:15:17 EST
From:         Frank Condelli <RAlanen@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: CV joints and Wheel bearings?
Comments: cc: louizec@MYCINGULAR.BLACKBERRY.NET

In a message dated 05/02/2007 12:11:07 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM writes:

Hello all,

Click, click, click!.... Was all I heard when driving. Got progressively louder. Finally took it in for new CV joints -- right rear axle.

MechAnic said that he could "wobble" my tire back and forth, and - I needed new wheel brgs. Brought it back a few days later to do them, and the shop had a new tech who said I did** not need them. The "whA-wha-wha- sound " was from my oversized tires, and in fact I did not need them.

Please advise!

LouiZe, welcome back on the List ! We missed you !! The wheel bearing test I use is this: If it wobbles more that 1/4" then you need to first remove the axle nut, lube well and reinstall at 360 ft. lbs of torque then check the wheel wobble again. If still at 1/4" or more then it is time to renew the wheel bearings, seals and check the length of the bearing spacer. If the spacer is not the correct length then it too needs to be replaced. The length of the bearing spacer is listed on my _Vanagon Items Forsale_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/sales.htm) webpage > Spacer, rear wheel bearings, 42.8 mm long, 211 501 281 E - 1@60.65 - 3@35.03. The spacer is only available from VW or someone like me who gets them from VW and keeps them in stock. It is also necessary to check the face of the nut and hub and any wear on these mating surfaces is a reason to replace them. Also it is necessary to check for any wear of the splines on the axle and in the hub. The wear of these items can occur if the axle nut was loose and the vehicle ran that way for some time.

Cheers,

Frank Condelli Almonte, Ontario, Canada '87 Westy, '90 Carat, '87 Wolfsburg (Forsale) & Lionel Trains (_Collection for sale_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/trainsal.htm) ) Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley _Frank Condelli & Associates_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/busindex.html) _Vanagon Stainless Steel Exhaust Systems_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/stebro.htm) _BusFusion_ (http://members.aol.com/BusFusion/bfhome.htm) a VW Camper camping event, Almonte, ON, June 07 ~ 10, 2007