Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Feb 2007 10:41:39 -0500
From:         Roger Sisler <rogersisler2000@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re:
              =?utf-8?Q?Very_low_Westfalia_serial_number__A_=2d_=30=30=30=34?=

Here is what I think the serial number A-0004 means...... The expanded VIN number that comes on each vehicle that is manufactured, began in 1980. In the 1980 VIN number, the didget that is used to determin the model year, is the letter "A".I dont know it's position in the VIN. If this is correct, a 1981 Vanagon Westfalia should have a serial number that begins with the letter "B".The serial nmumber is on the paper attached to the rear of the sink, cabinet door.Not the metal plaque on the fold down seat.

If this is so, A-0004 may be a very, very early Westfalia, indeed. Build date 9/79.The paper is in German and English. Maybe there is a different paper used for USA , Canada, Germany , ect.This may be the only the 4th Canadian, Vanagon Westfalia.

I got a email from a listee saying he had a Vanagon Westfalia made in 5/79. He is looking for theat identification paper.That sounds like an extreemly early Vanagon.I am interested in that number.Is is American or Canadian ?

If it is a higher number, but still is a serial number such as this one,I have an idea on that. I suppose many, many Vanagon Westfalias were made early on, and put in a storage lot, adjacent to the factory, till the boat was ready to ship them. The very first Westfalia ever really made would be at the rear of the lot, so as to not block the entrance to the lot. When the lot was full, the latest Vanagon would be at the entrance of the lot.The place where the person who certified each, "by adding the paper" , entered. That person found my 1980 westy fourth, and added the paper serial number. I didnt see the game last night, and had lots of time on my hands.