Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Feb 2007 09:53:10 -0800
From:         Old Volks Home <oldvolkshome@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Misc. Vanagon Ramblings & Steering Coupler
Comments: cc: fonman4277@earthlink.net, dhaynes@optonline.net

Actually, there are 3, 251 419 417 B (2 if you have Power Steering)

Bus Depot Link: http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=251419417B

CIP1 Link http://www2.cip1.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=251-419-417

See the locations if you have ETKA - Item 7, Illustration 52-00, or check your Bentley, it has an excellent breakdown of the steering system stuff. -- Jim Thompson 84 GL 1.9 "Gloria" 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" 73 K Ghia Coupe "Denise" 72 411 Station Wagon "Pug" oldvolkshome@gmail.com http://www.oldvolkshome.com *********************************** On 2/5/07, Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@optonline.net> wrote: > > There are two of those couplers, one above the right angle gear box. If > you think the lower one looks bad, the top one may scare you. > > Dennis > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: Jeff Stewart > Date: Monday, February 5, 2007 10:53 am > Subject: Misc. Vanagon Ramblings & Steering Coupler > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > > Too cold this weekend here in Virginia to work on either of my > > buses, so I took them both out for a cruise. First was my '75 > > Westy, which hadn't been started in over 8 weeks. Dead battery, > > of course, but with a jump it fired up. Took it on a 20 minute > > cruise, it ran a bit rough the whole time, but at least I > > knocked the rust off the front rotors. Then I took the '84 > > Vanagon out to run some errands, took my 13 yr old daughter with > > me, she had not ridden in the Vanagon since I got it running. > > She hates Vanagons, says they "aren't real VW's"- I tell her the > > splitty folks say the same about the Bay window buses. Two > > blocks from the house, her first comment, "It sure is quiet". > > Half a mile from the house she says "the heat is nice". After > > about a mile on the highway @ 65 mph she says it "rides nice". I > > haven't fully convinced her yet, but I'm working on it. Anyway, > > return home and decide to do at least one thing on my list-pull > > off the piece of electrical tape over the oxy sensor light > > and reset it. Slide under the front and reach up, find the > > button and push it. Then I notice a rubber steering coupler, > > looks just like the ones the Bays use, and it ain't looking too > > good. I didn't know Vanagons had these. I checked Bus Depots > > website, didn't find them listed for Vanagons, just for later > > bays. Bentley shows it though, appears to be the exact same > > part. I hope so, because I have a brand new one I never used on > > the '75 (didn't need it), so if it's the same, it's going on the > > Vanagon. Searched the archives looking for an answer, just found > > a lot about swapping out power steering. Jeff > > > > > > Jeff Stewart > > fonman4277@earthlink.net > > http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/vwcampersmidatlantic/ > > http://home.earthlink.net/~fonman4277/vanagon%5b1%5d?200712