Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Feb 2007 12:18:06 -0800
From:         Old Volks Home <oldvolkshome@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Help, late model instument cluster in '82 van
Comments: To: Ryan Miller <rmiller@azteca.com>

This eems to be an item that is now popping up weekly. Plenty of archive material to refer to, but here it is again.......

You must own a 1981 registered as a 1982 because Screw-On Upper Speedo Cables were only used for the first two years of Vanagon production, 80 & 81. In 1982 they went to Push/Clip On Upper Cables thru 1991. Or the previous owner may have already swapped the Speedo to a earlier variety, requiring the Screw-On Upper Cable.

The cluster you indicate sounds like one from an 84 Wolfsburg or 85 model (without the Dynamic Oil Pressure System or an 86-91 cluster. Not a Diesel BTW

I'm assuming you are running an air cooled model, so yer going to have to either do as Kim Brennan suggests (swap the speedos) or if using the speedo in the cluster (actually it's more accurate speed-wise) obtain the correct Upper Cable (Dealer or Bus Depot):

251 957 809 B Upper, 975mm (Models w/EGR Light) or 251 957 809 C Upper, 780mm (Models w/OXS Light 82-85) or 251 957 809 K Upper, 1410mm (Models w/OXS Light 86-91)

Or you could do what I did recently with both my 84s, do away with the counter box and replace both cables (about $58 from the dealer, Bus Depot's probably cheeper):

251 957 803 E Cable w/Push/Clip-On 2240mm

You will have to reposition the connecting wires in the 14 pin connector for stuff to work correctly (gas gauge, clock, other stuff) as it changed when it went to the tachometer style. There is a plethora of info in the archives on this but, but here's the gist of it:

(Courtesy of Boston Bob): First color noted is primary wire color and second color is strip color

Change to was

1 power to dash lights grey blue 1 was empty 2 high beam blue white 2 brown (MY NOTE: Be sure to place this Brown in Pin 3 not 12!) 3 ground brown 3 grey blue 4 empty 4 blue white 5 clock red 5 brown (MY NOTE: Be sure to place this Brown in Pin 12, not 3!) 6 coolant temp yellow red 6 yellow red 7 fuel gauge purple black 7 red 8 power black 8 purple black 9 new wire from tach green 9 black 10 blinker blue red 10 blue black 11 alt blue 11 blue green 12 dynamic warning from dash to ground 12 white red (MY NOTE: If using 84-85 Tach Cluster use the Brown from "was" Pin 5) 13 low oil pressure blue black 13 blue 14oxs blue green 14 blue red

I think I'm gonna write up a page on my site about this, since it's asked so often now. -- Jim Thompson 84 GL 1.9 "Gloria" 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" 73 K Ghia Coupe "Denise" 72 411 Station Wagon "Pug" oldvolkshome@gmail.com http://www.oldvolkshome.com *********************************** On 2/5/07, Ryan Miller <rmiller@azteca.com> wrote: > > Sorry for the double post, but it was suggested by someone on the subie > list > I may have better luck answering my question here. > > > > During my conversion I pulled an instrument cluster out of a donor van. > The > van was identified as an '82 (same year as mine), but I'm pretty sure it > was > a diesel or maybe some sort of conversion since it had a radiator (engine > was missing), however it had an instrument cluster with a tachometer, so > it > suited my needs until I realized that the speedo connection wasn't the > screw > on type like mine, but rather, what I guess, is more of a plug in style. > The > tach also has a temp guage and the wiring ribbon is of course different. > It > appears that my plug would fit the new cluster, but I'm sure I don't have > a > tach or temp line that runs to it. So, I guess my questions are can I get > a > 'newer' upper plug in speedo cable and have it work? And, what would it > take > to get the tach and temp gauges working? > > > > Ryan > > '82 camper van 'Beethoven' > > > > P.S. this cluster also seems to have a little LCD clock between the speed > and tach. >