Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Feb 2007 15:15:22 -0600
From:         Tom Lambas <twlambas@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oil Pressure Light and Alarm after oil change
Comments: To: louizec@mycingular.blackberry.net

Is it cold where you are?

Some may disagree, but I would only use 20-50 if I were in a very warm climate year-round. The one time I used 20-50 here in Minnesota (in the spring - cool temps), I got the oil pressure alarm too, along with valve noise. After warming up, things settled down. Out came the 20-50 ; ):: 10-30 seems to be the happy stuff for me. I store the van in the winter.

Tom L - Minneapolis '84 westy

On 2/5/07, Louize Christensen <louizec@mycingular.blackberry.net> wrote: > > > Question! > Just had an oil change (at a VW shop). I asked to make sure to use 20w50 > oil. The tech said. YEP. > Later, I heard him ask another tech if they had any. After oil change, I > asked again and was assured that 20 50oil was used. > > Fast forward: > > After driving a couple of days around town-- say under 2000rpm, no high > speed highway, all was fine. The first time I got on the highway and drove > about 40minutes at then got off exit ramp, oil pressure light and alarm went > off. I stepped on accelerator and both went off. As soon as I let off > acc.the same happened about 4 times. > (I read the great info on the archives ) > > My prev. exper. Is that if the wrong oil is used or wrong filter this will > happen as the oil is resrtricted in flow, or not viscous enough. > > The van drives fine othErwise with no leaks or alarms in city driving. > > The oil filter used is a BOSCH. No 0 451 103 033; the recommended filter > for my 91. Is:; 070115561 > > The bus seems to be running slightly hotter, even tho it is cooler > outside. With fan coming on after being in traffic for 30 min or so and it > is not hot outside. > > ?: Is this filter ok? > ? If no, is it or will it damage engine? > > Oil on dipstick does not feel as thick as the spare 20 50 I have here > > -?: Is it the oil... > Or > ? Is it btoth... Or sometHing else? > > Thanks in ADvance! > > Louize > Sent via BlackBerry from Cingular Wireless