Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Feb 2007 20:25:52 -0800
From:         Mary Haynes <mary_k_haynes@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: [Fwd: ADMINISTRIVIA - Re: Ubuntu]
Comments: To: Jim Arnott <jr.arnott@GMAIL.COM>

How do I unsubscribe from this list? Mary Haynes ----- Original Message ---- From: Jim Arnott <jr.arnott@GMAIL.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Monday, February 5, 2007 8:11:17 PM Subject: Re: [Fwd: ADMINISTRIVIA - Re: Ubuntu] On Feb 5, 2007, at 5:36 PM, Sudhir Desai wrote: > I'm not sure what to make of this as I'm sure a few others of you have > received it. > I would hope that people who do not want to read these emails delete > them post-haste. > As far as I can remember, we( Vanagon Mailing List ) have already > decided by consensus that the delete icon, keystroke, or other means > of deletion are the only means necessary in response to unneeded > emails. > No offense meant to any party other than those for whom this shoe > fits. > Sincerely, > Sudhir Desai > p.s. I feel that this mailing list, since its inception, has promoted > learning of all sorts. We( Vanagon Mailing List ) cannot afford( for > sanity, and against ignorance ) to become so focused in our love of > all things Vanagon, that we lose sight of the real world. Sudhir , Jake, et al; Make of it that the current list administrator, decided that the VANAGON list does not need a detailed discussion of what open source OS to run. If you'd like to discuss operating systems, please either take it pmail or go to the *nix discussion group of your choice. Nine hundred Vanagon owners don't need the discussion and I'm willing to wager, could not care less about the subject. Future listmembers will not be searching the archives looking for information about what open source OS was the cat's meow in early 2007. I posted the following yesterday with an ADMINISTRIVIA subject to get the listmembers attention. > As an occasional Ubuntu user, I can unequivocally say that it has > absolutely NO Vanagon content and is a conversation best carried on p- > mail. (Or go ask on the Ubuntu forums to find out that it's a fairly > finished product.) > > Jim (wearing the admin hat again) You'll notice that I identified myself as admin yet again in the signature. If you'd prefer that I just moderate without warning, I can certainly do that, however, I would rather guide with a gentle touch to topics that are germane to Vanagon ownership and maintenance. Mr. Drillock has already pointed you to the Etiquette section of the Vanagon website. I will add the section of the welcome message that you received many years ago when you joined the list: > Due to the volume on the Vanagon list and the multigenerational > nature of > the discussions, it would be a great help if you would make the > subject > of your message explicit to what model(s) and year(s) or era of > van that > the message pertains to. For example: > > "Eurovan rear hatch won't latch" "91 Camper stove problem" > "87 Syncro Clutch Problems" "83-H20 engine temperature" > > Often messages refer to trips, tools or other general topics. These > types > of messages are of course meant for the whole list and a subject > without > a particular van type is expected. > > Fridays are a day when people do fun things on the list. These > things may > actually not be VW related, but we strongly encourage it. To > indicate > that a posting is in fun and may not be of technical value, you > should > preface or suffix your subject with /f [f] or (F). Anyone without a > sense > of humor should delete these messages without reading them. So, in summation, 1.) Computer operating systems are not remotely related to Vangons unless of course we are discussing how to install the latest bootleg of the ETKA/ETOS software. 2.) It's not Friday anywhere on the planet. 3.) The list administrator has politely asked that the subject be taken off list or to a more appropriate forum. 4.) In the more than a decade that you and I have been on this list, it has NEVER been run by consensus. The administrators have listened to such discussions and acted have seen fit. The Vanagon List is not now, nor has it ever been, a democracy. If you want to discuss operating systems, either take it p-mail or take it to the OS forum of your choice. The Vanagon list is not the appropriate forum to debate the various choices. Regards, Jim Arnott List Administrator gerry.vanagon.com ____________________________________________________________________________________ Expecting? Get great news right away with email Auto-Check. Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta. http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/mailbeta/newmail_tools.html