Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Feb 2007 23:13:44 -0800
From:         Philip Zimmerman <philzimm1@OBERON.ARK.COM>
Subject:      Re: '86 Electrical Ground Locations (Cleaning Grounds)

From: Joe Fernandez <jfride@GMAIL.COM> Subject: '86 Electrical Ground Locations (Cleaning Grounds)

Joe F. wrote in-part: Possibly the most common recommendation to track electrical gremlins is "clean your grounds." My questions: is there a good list of ALL of the ground locations on the 2.1? How many are there? Where? Are they all braided metal lines i.e. no insulation? I've checked the archives. Some info on HOW to clean the grounds, but I haven't found a list of them all.

Hi Joe, For a list of grounds on your '86, consult the Bentley for that particular year. Page 97.69, lists 13 ground tracts for the '86 year. The descriptions of where the grounds are located on the body are pretty vague sometimes and the Bentley is not exhaustive. But as the excellent recommendation above suggests: "clean your grounds". If either you, me or the Bentley overlooks or omits a ground... those gremlins are sure to remind us all that, it is still there and not working! (Ok, enough sarcasm) Not all ground wires are bare. Most are insulated (brown)/(black) for the Westfaila Camping Electrics.

1. Fuel Level Sensor: Drivers-side on main frame-rail, hiding above the fuel tank!

2. Main ECU: behind the ECU on non-Campers. Behind Water-Tank on Camper models. The Bentley does not show this ground-wire other than by a "terminated" brown wire from Pin 19 of the ECU plug (current tract 23, for '86 year).

3. Fuel Pump. Grounded to body sheet-metal by the fuel pump.

4. Horn Ring. One on the steering column and one on the steering box under Van.

5. Auto Trans Console Lights. Inside console on body sheet-metal.

6. Main Ground for Camper Electrics. Bundle of black wires screwed-on reinforcing pannel-member, below the Water & Electrical Covers. If the covers leak, the grounds get wet and corrode. Accessible by removing Stove/Sink and Water-Tank Cabinets.

7. Rear Wiper. Inside Rear-Lid.

Good hunting Joe. Keep us informed of any new grounds you find during your search....

Phil Z. Campbell River, BC ------------------------