Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 Feb 2007 07:36:06 -0800
From:         dylan friedman <insyncro@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Mobile1 15/50

I have been using Mobil1 15/50 extended performance synthetic for over a year now in my 90 Carat w/ 89k original miles. It doesn't see winter use, but I have pulled it out of its bay during very cold times here in New England, let it sit overnight and gave it a start in the early am to test it. No issues, little bit slower cranking, but would fire right up. dylan ----- Original Message ---- From: Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Tuesday, February 6, 2007 9:53:31 AM Subject: Re: Castrol, QT, 5W50 Using conventional oils, 20w-50 is the preferred oil for normal temps and operation. For low temaparatures, 20F is really the comfortable lower limit for this viscosity. Synthetic lubes can be extended for both extremes as not only do they have better viscosity indexes, they do not have the waxes that will solidify at lower temperatures. The viscosity ratings work as follows. The lower number is the viscosity at 40C. The upper number is the viscosity at 100C. There can be major differences at temperatures far above or below this. This is the differences we do not see in the ratings. Mobil 1, 15w-50 claims to be able to still flow at -30F. The 0w-40 goes well below that. The Castrol 5w-50 will definatley be much better than 20w-50 conventional. My experience with the Mobil 1is long term so I am partial to it. Oil testing has shown that 7,500 mile changes are no problem in the Vanagon engine. Nitration and oxidation become an issue beyond that. For a daily driver doing relatively short commutes, The 0w-40 European Formulae or 10w-40 Extreme performance would be my choice. Dennis ----- Original Message ----- From: mordo Date: Tuesday, February 6, 2007 8:58 am Subject: Castrol, QT, 5W50 To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > I'm confused, Frank. In a previous post this morning you said > 20W50 is the > required oil and then here you say you use 5W50. I challenge > only because > I'm about to change the oil that I just put in 15 miles ago > because I'm lead > to believe that it is a bit too heavy for these cold temps. > > ---------- Forwarded message ---------- > From: Frank Condelli > Date: Feb 6, 2007 7:18 AM > Subject: Re: Castrol, QT, 5W50 > To: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com > > In a message dated 05/02/2007 8:49:41 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, > LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM writes: > > I always ran Castrol, QT, 5W50 Full Syntec Motor Oil; it seemed > to cover me > well in the winter as well as the summer in my 1.9L WBX. > > Any concerns with this oil? Other's experiences? > > What is the "oil brand and weight of choice for all season > application" in > a > 2.1L? > > > > > > I've have used Mobil 1 5w50 until recently switching to Elf > 5w50 in both my > '87 Westy and '90 Carat. Both very good full synthetics. In > the Ottawa > Valley where this morning it was -45C and the Carat started up > just fine > and > carried Rita off to work with no problemo. It does have a > block heater > which was > plugged overnight. > > Cheers, > > Frank Condelli > Almonte, Ontario, Canada > '87 Westy, '90 Carat, '87 Wolfsburg (Forsale) & Lionel Trains > (_Collectionfor sale_ > (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/trainsal.htm) ) > Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley > _Frank Condelli & Associates_ > (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/busindex.html)_Vanagon Stainless > Steel Exhaust Systems_ > (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/stebro.htm) > _BusFusion_ (http://members.aol.com/BusFusion/bfhome.htm) a VW Camper > camping event, Almonte, ON, June 07 ~ 10, 2007 > > > -- > mordo > 1990 Carat >