Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 Feb 2007 15:36:48 -0500
From:         Joy Hecht <hecht.joy@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: The Subtle Joys of Busdom

Gee, I once landed in a whole truck driver social event on the side of the road, after we all climbed a hill together.

Well, not just any hill, we were sitting on the continental divide in south western Colorado, at around 12,000 feet, all letting our rigs cool off and have a rest after they'd bravely gotten us there via an eight-mile climb.

Then we were joined by three ecstatic young folks on bicycles. Turned out they had started in Connecticut, were heading to California, and they were pretty psyched to have just crossed the continental divide!

It was a nice gathering. Pretty cold for the middle of the summer, though, up there in the clouds.

Joy

******************************************************************* Dr. Joy E. Hecht Consultant on Environmental Policy and Information

Email: jhecht@alum.mit.edu Phone: 1-202-494-1162 URL: http://www.joyhecht.net

:::-----Original Message----- :::From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf :::Of Donna Skarloken :::Sent: Tuesday, February 06, 2007 2:24 PM :::To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM :::Subject: Re: The Subtle Joys of Busdom ::: :::Lately I get a lot of waves from truck drivers, especially when climbing :::hills right alongside them. I don't know if they just like the company, :::or :::the fact that I usually make an effort to stay out of theri way (not easy :::when running the San Francisco Bay Area commute - dodging SUV yuppies on :::one :::side and trying to give the trucks room on the other!) ::: :::Donna, 87 Syncro ::: :::