Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 Feb 2007 17:33:08 -0600
From:         Allen Hill <route66rider@KNOLOGY.NET>
Subject:      Re: The Subtle Joys of Busdom
Comments: To: David O'Shea <DOShea@GEOMATRIX.COM>

Yes, and as I have said before, you should see what happens when I drive "The Mystery Machine". Not only all the excitement of the VW Vanagon, but X 10 because of the Mystery Machine paint job and decals. Gas stations, along the road, shopping, all turn into an adventure in that. Kids, young, old, it doesn't matter. I had a 1965 Mustang GT that was plain beautiful and it was totally restored that didn't attract a tenth of the attention that this does.

Route 66 Rider! Ramon Hill Live Long and Be Free ====================================

A couple of Julys ago I was driving my green Westfalia from San Francisco to Las Vegas. It was a lovely afternoon in the Mojave Desert as I approached Baker, CA (about half-way between Barstow and Las Vegas on I-15). You know the kind of day --112 degrees F and not a cloud in the sky.

I was at the speed limit of 65mph in the slow lane when a small black sports car sped up behind me then proceeded to pass. It then paused directly to my left. I ignored it. Then I heard a honk. I glanced over to see a pretty blonde (mid-20s) in the passenger seat gesturing towards the driver, sort of Vanna White-like with two palms upturned. Driving the car was another attractive blonde who had dropped her top down to reveal perfect, well you know what she revealed (this is a family mailing list). I gave them both the "thank you" gesture in American Sign Language and was about to shout over the road noise that we should all keep going to Utah where the 3 of us could get married, but they hit the accelerator and rapidly vanished over the horizon. I quickly regained my senses and recalled that I was meeting my wife and two children in 2 hours at the Las Vegas airport to start an extended Southwest camping trip.

Two day later, in the grandeur of Zion National Park, sitting under a starry night sky, I told my wife about the occurrence. Her response was: "Dream on buddy, it was just a mirage."

-Dave O'Shea '83 Diesel Westfalia