Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 Feb 2007 18:22:53 -0800
From:         Jeffrey Schwaia <jeff@VANAGONPARTS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Need input on radiator problem
Comments: To: Benny boy <huotb@VIDEOTRON.CA>

Ben,

We've replaced quite a few radiators over the years. A partially clogged radiator seems to be a common problem on the Vanagon (at least in California). Other than a flow test, I check them by starting the van cold and feeling for cold spots on the radiator while it warms up. You have to be quick since the aluminum will transfer the heat to the whole radiator pretty fast. If it has cold spots on warm up, I move to the flow test to confirm.

Good Luck,

Jeff www.vanagonparts.com www.autostadtwest.com

Guys, yea, i need your input!

I had NO radiator related problem since i started working on Vanagon! yea, so they are not so bad after all, anyway, what i need is feedback on those who had problem! What i would like to know is the folllowing and it concern those who has NO real leak on the rad:

-Did you had overheating problem, if yes, when, freeway/hills or on idle, mid speed,all the time, intermittent?

-Did the overheating happen suddenly? without warning or slowly on a long period of time, was it on a hot summer day?

-For those who the rad was the problem, do you know if it was cloggued? fin dammage? leaking?

Here is why i'm asking: i did a top-end and others small stuff for a very nice 62yo lady a few month ago, now, she is stranded with over-heating problem deep into Mexico (near Acapulco), most coolant componants were replace, heads/pistons are new, water pump, thermostat and many other coolant related parts were replaced (not to say all). Since that top-end, she did at least 5000 miles without any problem. She just call me from there telling my some small town mechanic was removing the thermostat as we where on the phone, i went bazoukkk... i told her how to test the thermostat wile there and explain to her how to flush the rad to see if it was flowing. (it's a 1.9 by the way)

The engine/coolant don't overheat at low speed, only on big hills wile climbing, the engine sound and run fine all the time with good power, even when it's over-heating??? she getting pretty good with understanding mechanical stuff so she was able to tell me that she saw boilling in the exp tank with some coolant getting out of the cap? Cap and tank are new! so i'm pretty sure it's hot for real and it's not the gauge, i'm blaming the rad, but i never had rad problem on Vanagon, so.. She didn't have any oil or coolant consumption for those 5000miles, no dripping anywhere! I was not quick enough on the phone to ask her if the rad was hot, so i don't know! All i know is that the mechanic tested the compression (155-160) all around, check all hoses. I know that the return line would be cold if the rad is cloggued but i didn't have time to tell her that also. Of what i know, it's NOT overheating on idle. It may be a deeper core problem, but i doubt it.

As for a head gasket failure... well, it's my job to re-seal wasser! But hey, anything can happen, i'm not god.

My spanish is basic so i was not able to speak much with the very helpfull mechanic!

I had radiators problem in my mechanic life but not on vanagon, of course, on a car, a failling rad will show sign of failure at high speed (When the engine is working hard)

Anyway, if you have input on rad problem let me know ASAP!

Thanks, Ben http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm