Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 Feb 2007 21:58:41 -0500
From:         Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: Need input on radiator problem

Ben, on my 1986 Syncro, I've had times when the engine coolant temperature went way up (to the point of the LED flashing). But this was only on VERY steep grades, running high in 2nd gear. If towing and/or running the AC it could happen even sooner (and in 3rd gear.)

On my 1991 Syncro Westy, long grades would definitely causing overheating problems. Monarch Pass (US Route 50 in Colorado over the continental divide) is a very long grade, and was too steep for 3rd gear, so I was in 2nd gear at 4000 rpms. About halfway up, the temperature started climbing (and no turn offs), the LED started blinking just before I found a turn off. And I was spewing coolant and all. But not from the radiator. I'm sure the altitude didn't help (and my radiator fan was running full blast.)

In Kansas (same Westy) heading west, 4th gear and trying to maintain speed with the AC going, was sure to get the temps rising.

When Smallcar put the SVX engine in they did replace the radiator. I might have too much cooling capability now (at least in the winter).