Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 Feb 2007 14:58:20 +1100
From:         Stephen Overmyer <S.OVERMYER@UWS.EDU.AU>
Subject:      Re: New van Style

See comments on T4s interspersed below.... ------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 16:41:55 -0800 From: Loren Busch <starwagen@GMAIL.COM> Subject: Re: New van Style

RE: '93 Eurovan Early Eurovans w/the 5 cyl engine have a reputation for being underpowered

If you currently drive a waterboxer, you will not feel the I5 is underpowered. True, you have to wring them out a little more to get off the mark quickly as they don't seem to have the same torque off idle as a boxer, but once on their way they will outperform the WBX on top speed and hill climbing.

and a transmission with problems and very expensive to fix.

That is more the case with the later autos of the V6s. In your part of the world only the auto was imported for the V6 as far as I'm aware. They either crap out at in the first 100k or they are fine. The rest of us have always had the choice of the 5 speed manual. The new T5 BTW is a 5 6 speed manual :-) There is more chance of the earlier T4 I5 being manual and they have no particular problems if cared for like any gearbox should be.

I understand that all Eurovans are expensive to have worked on, very cramped engine comparment.

True, some of the parts are more expensive, but then, generally less also goes wrong ;-) The engine compartment only appears cramped at first glance or to the uninitiated. Access is actually quite good considering the compact nature on the engine bay. For checking oil and other fluids, all is easily reached by lifting the bonnet. For access to spark plugs, distributor etc, you simple pull off the front lower grill section with a simple tool (supplied with the jack) and remove two 10mm bolts located either side of the radiator. The whole radiator hinges forward out of the way and you can access what you like. Simple...and since the spark plugs only need changing every 30,000kms it is something you do not need to do all that regularly.

To those who own a T3 and have had little to do with the T4, there is always a certain amount of prejudice towards the T4. If you like the camping layout of the T3 and the feeling more akin the VW of old, then the T3 will never be surpassed. I like that too. But....if you have ever spent any amount of time behind the wheel of a T4, you will most likely have to eventually admit that there are advantages to the more modern design. It took me a while too but now I understand...;-) Still, that does not diminish the pleasure of getting back behind the wheel of the T3. They are fun, no question about it....but then so are T4s in their own way.

Cheers, Steve O NSW Australia '92 Transporter WBX Kombi '00 Transporter Double Cab '03 Transporter Double Cab (work truck) '78 Land Rover 109 Series 3 soft top ute (ex-Aust.Army)