Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 Feb 2007 07:44:57 EST
From:         Frank Condelli <RAlanen@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Need input on radiator problem
Comments: cc: huotb@videotron.ca

In a message dated 06/02/2007 10:14:31 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM writes:

Don't forget, Waterboxers and Type IV pancake air cooled engines were never sold new in Mexico...

While Mexican mechanics can work on Type 1 engines blindfolded, they don't have a lot of experience with Waterboxers with their funky cooling systems nor the Type IV a/c engines.

Any help you can give them in Spanish will be helpful...

Actually the Mex mechanos are pretty good at keeping the waterboxers alive. Even all through Central and South America. I have many customers who frequently travel through these areas and I myself as you may recall spent a few months in Mexico last winter. The biggest problem they have is getting parts. There are many Vanagons, especially Westys in Mexico due to the travellers from abroad, so the Mex mechanos have gotten used to working on the waterboxer engine. When Benny Boy and the rest of us go off the Mexico next winter for my daughters wedding in Zamora we will look into how we can help the situation of getting the waterboxer serviced in Mexico. I may just move down there and set up shop somewhere.

Benny Boy, tell your customer to watch herself in Acapulco, lots on the news lately about Canadians getting into trouble down there. Also, one of our Quebec Club members, Normand & Josee Boule, #1743, spend the winter there at Pie de la Questa, a few miles north of Acapulco so he may be of some help. If you need to contact him I will see about getting the phone # at his campground. He's no Internet freak so cannot be reached by e-mail. But I have a way of getting in touch with the campground if I go digging. He has spent many winters down there and I'm sure he knows the good waterboxer mechanos in the area.

Cheers,

Frank Condelli Almonte, Ontario, Canada '87 Westy, '90 Carat, '87 Wolfsburg (Forsale) & Lionel Trains (_Collection for sale_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/trainsal.htm) ) Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley _Frank Condelli & Associates_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/busindex.html) _Vanagon Stainless Steel Exhaust Systems_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/stebro.htm) _BusFusion_ (http://members.aol.com/BusFusion/bfhome.htm) a VW Camper camping event, Almonte, ON, June 07 ~ 10, 2007