Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 Feb 2007 06:46:52 -0800
From:         Zoran Mladen <zmaninco@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Need input on radiator problem
Comments: To: Oxroad@AOL.COM

Hi Ben, On our 89 Bluestar, it was overheating at all times, much worse on the highway. We initially thought it was the head gaskets and so replaced them. No change. So we throught we did something wrong and replaced the head gaskets again. No change. So then we thought the old heads were cracked. We replaced the heads with a lightly used set of AMC heads that we head pressure tested and were known good. No change. Finally, based on input from Dennis, we replaced the radiator. Problem fixed! I would look at the radiator. Z ----- Original Message ---- From: Jeff Oxroad <Oxroad@AOL.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Wednesday, February 7, 2007 12:54:08 AM Subject: Re: Need input on radiator problem In a message dated 2/6/2007 6:03:56 PM Pacific Standard Time, huotb@VIDEOTRON.CA writes: >>The engine/coolant don't overheat at low speed, only on big hills wile >>climbing, the engine sound and run fine all the time with good power, even >>when it's over-heating??? Ben-- Here was the problem on my 1.9L. It ran in the correct coolant range on the highway. Ran in the coolant range fine at low speeds on local streets. I ran several of 6,000 mile trips each summer for 4 or 5 years. Thanks for your time. OK, kidding, there was a problem. Here was the problem. In situations when I came off the highway and was immediately stopped at a stop light or two the coolant temp would rise dramatically. The fan would come on the high speed. It would never overheat and the coolant temp gauge would not get in the danger area. But again. noticaby getting hot quick. To counter act this I would turn on the front interior heater. Also on long hill climbs the coolant temp would rise. On real steep climbs like up through the Kyber Pass, I mean, what's that route over the Continental Divide near Denver?? Anyway there I'd have to turn on the rear heater and the front heater and saved myself from overheating. But it ran hot and was precarious. and even on other substantial but not as steep climbs I would often have to turn on both heaters to keep the temp gauge where it looked safe. Once, on my 4th 6,000 mile trip it overheated on the climb over the Continental Divide heading from Vail to Denver. I think this is the steeper of the two east vs. west. This coolant temp rising got very slowly and subtly worse, and never all that bad except for the one overheating. That was in 2001. But again, fine on the highway, fine on local streets, gauge would rise after being on the highway and stopping at a stop light. All this up to the very end before I solved the problem. SO, at that time (2001) I put in a new South African genuine VW aluminum radiator from Camelback VW in AZ . In those days even with a list discount I think the radiator went for about $400. The good news is these days they are a lot cheaper. My old radiator was the original radiator. It was copper. The interior was full of what I would say was lime or calcium or whatever clogs them up when I did the autopsy on it. And when I say clogged, it was coated with the deposits. it was not completely clogged so there would have been a stoppage. Just a nice coat of deposits throughout the radiator probably serving as a great insulator to keep the coolant hot. I haven't had a problem since the new radiator with coolant temp either city ot highway or hills or mountains. Best, Jeff 83.5 Westy LA,CA ____________________________________________________________________________________ Do you Yahoo!? Everyone is raving about the all-new Yahoo! Mail beta. http://new.mail.yahoo.com