Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 Feb 2007 08:04:29 -0800
From:         dylan friedman <insyncro@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Mobile1 15/50 - Lucas Oil additive??
Comments: To: "Jack R." <Jack007@COMCAST.NET>

i have seen that product but have not used it. dylan ----- Original Message ---- From: Jack R. <Jack007@COMCAST.NET> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Wednesday, February 7, 2007 10:32:58 AM Subject: Re: Mobile1 15/50 - Lucas Oil additive?? Is it advisable to add Lucas Oil additive to the mix? I have had good luck with it on my older BMW, with 241k miles. It claims to remain on the bearings, thus reducing worn bearings. -----Original Message----- From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of Frank Condelli Sent: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 6:54 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Mobile1 15/50 In a message dated 06/02/2007 1:09:50 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM writes: I have been using Mobil1 15/50 extended performance synthetic for over a ye= ar now in my 90 Carat w/ 89k original miles. It doesn't see winter use, bu= t I have pulled it out of its bay during very cold times here in New Englan= d, let it sit overnight and gave it a start in the early am to test it. No= issues, little bit slower cranking, but would fire right up. Dylan, and others. I have to jump in here as I think some of us are missing the point on this subject. The thicker oil is not going to prevent or make the engine hard to start. If you have a good battery with 600 ~ 800 cold cranking amps then the engine will turn over and fire up. BUT, the problem becomes in that the thick oil cannot circulate quickly enough to lubricate the bearings properly so every time you do this you are causing undue wear of the bearings which you will not be aware of until you have a premature engine failure due to worn bearings. Then, when that occurs you have forgotten all about those cold starts you did and want to know why the engine bearings wore out so soon. We see this in all vehicles up here in the great white north. The more temperate the climate the less problematic it becomes. So not everyone is aware of this. I always get a laugh out of the Northern rednecks who go around boasting of getting their vehicle started at -45C ~ -35C without the use of a block heater or heated garage after have sat out in that cold overnight. Well, you just wore a few thou off your bearing you fool, I'm thinking, so what if you have that great big battery that's able to spin that cold frozen motor over so that it will start ! This is one of the biggest advantages to using the 0w50, 5w50 and 15w50 synthetic oils in our waterboxers as it sure helps to save the engine bearings at cold start up without the aid of any heating devices. I still use the block heater even though I use 5w50 Mobile 1. Save those bearings !! Cheers, Frank Condelli Almonte, Ontario, Canada '87 Westy, '90 Carat, '87 Wolfsburg (Forsale) & Lionel Trains (_Collection for sale_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/trainsal.htm) ) Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley _Frank Condelli & Associates_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/busindex.html) _Vanagon Stainless Steel Exhaust Systems_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/stebro.htm) _BusFusion_ (http://members.aol.com/BusFusion/bfhome.htm) a VW Camper camping event, Almonte, ON, June 07 ~ 10, 2007