Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 Feb 2007 17:08:39 +0000
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Need input on radiator problem
Comments: To: Doug Alcock <doug.alcock@GMAIL.COM>

The engine can run hot without a thermostat. As the thermostat opens to allow coolant to flow from the radiator, the lower disc closes off the bypass that allows coolant to continuously flow throughout the engine. So the flow to the radiator is basically short circuited without the thermostat. If the even is an automatic, it is even worse as the trany oil cooler is a parallel loop with the radiator always taking some of the available flow. Then to make matters worse, the 1.9 cooling system does not flow coolant through the engine. The in and out are both on the rear. The water jacket being filled and convection cool the front cylinders. With the heater valve open, coolant then flow through the right side of the engine. Not left front outlet is there unless someone added it, (easy to do). So it is possible to have a good gauge reading and still be overheating the right side if vapor bound or something.

Dennis

----- Original Message ----- From: Doug Alcock Date: Wednesday, February 7, 2007 10:35 am Subject: Re: Need input on radiator problem To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM