Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 Feb 2007 15:03:41 -0500
From:         Kenneth Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Need input on radiator problem
Comments: To: Ben <huotb@VIDEOTRON.CA>

Ben,

Sorry I got into this discussion late but I didn't see it until this morning.

Tools:

A great tool that I love to use whenever I work on the Vanagon cooling system is a coolant system pressure tester. I bought mine at Sears and had to modify it a little to get it to work on the Vanagon even though it said it would work on VWs and had an adapter for that purpose. Whenever I am doing anything related to the cooling system (head gasket replacement, hose replacement, someone comes in complaining about a leak, etc.) I use this tool to check the system to see if it will hold pressure. The Bentley talks about using such a tool and it is worth it's weight in gold to me. I pressurize the system to around 15 psi and then let it sit. Usually it doesn't take long. The last customer that was in here had over 8 leaks! I kept fixing them and new ones kept popping up. His cap wasn't holding any pressure either and this was making it not leak like a seive (which is what is was doing when I pressurized the system) but it also lowers your boiling point in the system and can cause you to have a vapor lock because your coolant is vaporizing at too low of a temperature.

So check that the system holds pressure, repair any leaks, definitely check the pressure cap on the expansion tank because all of the black ones I get in here are bad (and many of the blue ones too).

The other tool that is a must is the infrared heat gun. You can point it at any hose and see what the temperature is in real time in both F and C. Again this is something you can buy at Sears or a much cheaper version at Harbor Freight. My Sears one is still going strong after several years. Again the Bentley gives you a proceedure for checking temps with a primitive looking thermometer.

Problems I've seen:

I have had the pressure cap cause one couples van to overheat at highway speeds on them. It was allowing the coolant to vaporize and then the system would go into vapor lock (no flow). New cap and the coolant system was good to go.

Had another one with the bad radiator. Seems like if they are marginal they do worse after the van is warmed up and then brought back to idle. I think at the higher rpm the water pump is circulating more coolant through the crappy radiator and it is working enough to keep things cool. But when you come back to idle the temperature keeps creeping up because now you have the pump turning at a lower speed, and the radiator is like someone with clogged arteries. On the 2.1l engine there is a hose that goes from the coolant distributor over the top of the transimssion bellhousing and then to the thermostat housing. This acts as a bypass of the radiator during warm up to help the engine to heat up faster. When the radiator is clogged this hose continues to bypass the radiator after the thermostat opens and the engine gets hotter and hotter because the coolant isn't even going up there. Eventually the radiator will get warm by convection but by then the engine is super hot.

I hope this gives you some ideas to work with. I hope your lady can get back on the road again.

Thanks, Ken Wilford John 3:16 http://www.vanagain.com http://www.strictlyvwauctions.com http://www.eurovan.org http://www.vwcabrio.org Phone: (856)-327-4936 Fax: (856)-327-2242