Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 Feb 2007 12:33:20 -0800
From:         Jeff Michal <jeffmichal@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Whoa fuel pump is noisy!

Hey everyone. Today, I think I need a new fuel pump or fuel filter on my 90 GL. The fuel pump is absolutely screaming all the time. Yesterday, it was fine, or mostly fine. It would buzz a little off and on, normally right after I started the van for a little while. Today it is constant, and when it stops buzzing (normally when I am turning) I lose fuel pressure altogether. The difference between the 2 days is that it snowed and got really really cold (I know 5 degrees is not that cold, but this is the mid-atlantic) last night. I am wondering what this buzzing means. Does it mean I need a new fuel pump? Does it mean I need a new filter? Could it be the pump is cavitating because a bit of water in the gas tank has frozen and clogged the fuel strainer? Another thing is if anyone lives in the Washington, DC area and knows a shop that can get this changed out for me, it would be great to know of more than just the one shop I have. My shop is booked up for the week, and I really need my van fixed before next week. I am sure many of you have changed this out on your own. Is it as simple as undo the 4 pipe clamps, unplug the wire, put on 4 clamps, and plug in the wire? I understand the fuel system looks like: Tank > Strainer > Pump > Filter > Pressure Regulator > Fuel Rails > Injectors I know where the fuel pump and filter are, but I can't see where the strainer is. I am wondering if there is a way I can pull it and check what is going on there to be sure it isnt just iced up somehow (though I expect water wont freeze with gasoline around, at least not at 5 degrees). Thanks everyone, Jeff 90 GL ____________________________________________________________________________________ Don't get soaked. Take a quick peak at the forecast with the Yahoo! Search weather shortcut. http://tools.search.yahoo.com/shortcuts/#loc_weather