Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 Feb 2007 19:30:06 -0500
From:         Pascal Giasson <pascal.giasson@GNB.CA>
Subject:      Re: Total restoration cost!

I agree with both Dennis and Malcolm. I had a prof. at university (from Dal in Halifax) that once said "where you sand on an issue depends on where you sit". For some reason that line stuck with me over the years, and it has helped me understand alot of things throughout my working career and life. It applies in this situation too. If you are purely looking at a Westy as a mode of transportation, a means to an end sort to speak, then one would not have much business sence owning one...and you dont have to go to business school to figure that one out. However, if one looks at a Westy as a hobby, an escape from the rat race, a source of pride, a source of freedom (I refer to mine as my escape pod), a place to dream in and plan the next adventure, then in my opinion those values are priceless...the memories we created, the increadible generosity of Westy friends we met, the places we experienced are all worth the "investement" in terms of my family's life experiences.

I often ask myself what the frig is it with that hunk of metal out the in the driveway that attracts so much of my thoughts and attention (and money)...it's not common sence, that's for sure...but when I get in behind the wheel, wife by my side, kids in the back with the dog, motor purring (like only a boxer does),and cold beer in the fridge, I grin from ear to ear and head to a new adventure. All that time and money spent on my westy is not even in my thoughts...I'm in the zone...and to me that is what a big part of life is all about.

Pascal '84 Westy