Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 3 Feb 2007 13:10:22 -0800
From:         John Bange <jbange@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: What's in YOUR Git Box/Bug-out Bag

> There's a show on the outdoor network channel up here in Vancouver > called "Survivor Man". He does just that. It's one of my fav shows. > Worth checking if one can recieve it. >

Hah! "Cheater Man", more like! He not only frequently decides he's "proved his point" and calls for extraction early, but he curiously seems to have a carefully NON random assortment of 2 or 3 things in his pocket that just happen to be useful. My favorite was the desert survival one where he "just happened" to have a couple Frito corn chips and a small bit of a sugary power bar in his pocket (in addition to his Leatherman and flint), simulating being a lost mountain biker. The corn chips (being oily) were essential as fire lighters, and the power bar was coincidentally perfect bait for catching squirrels in deadfall traps. Without either one, he'd have been screwed. As it was he had so much trouble finding water he left early.

I'm more impressed with "Bear" Grylls on Man vs. Wild. He does a lot of really crazy stuff, but it's a lot more instructive than the conservative Survivor Man guy because (as Bear would say) "it's dumb of me to go looking to fall into a crevasse, but once I find one, it'll allow me to show you how to get out if you fall into one accidentally".