Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 9 Feb 2007 03:23:23 -0500
From:         Troy Delnicki <colorworks@GCI.NET>
Subject:      Re: Water Temperature Light

My 89 was exhibiting a similar problem, although in my case the light just stayed on and would not shut off. In order to determine if you had a good level sensor, you can disconnect the wire that runs to it, and then jump the connector with a small paper clip. If your coolant light goes out, it's a good indication that the sensor is bad. Remember, you will have to turn your ignition off, to reset the circuit.

You can also try cleaning the ground which attaches just below the coil.

I've also heard that if your mix of antifreeze is over 50/50, like a 70/30 the glycol will not conduct electricity properly, although my antifreeze is a 60/40 and I have not experienced that problem.

Finally, in the archives there is a message that states pull the relay 43 (or 42) from its relay socket. If the blinking problem stops when the relay is out, the fault causing the blinking must be in the coolant level circuit. If, however the blinking problem continues even with the relay out, the problem can't be in the cooolant level sensor, it's wires, or the relay. (posted by Mark Drillock)

In my case, the bolts on the back loosened up over time and simply tightening them up did the trick. Give Ben a cigar! He's a wealth of information. Great Job Ben and great advise.

good luck,

Troy 89 Vanagon (money monster) Hoping for a nicer pet name in time;)