Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 10 Feb 2007 11:26:23 -0800
From:         dylan friedman <insyncro@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: grease monkeys
Comments: To: Ronald Michaels <rbm1024@NETSCAPE.NET>

Ron, You are not alone. I too am a greasey monkey;) I work on Porsches, Vanagons, race cars........................., shoot I even put my John Deere 4wd tractor up on the hoist and wrench on it. It is one of the most fulfilling ways to express creativity and ingenuity that I have found thus far. Long live the grease monkey! dylan ----- Original Message ---- From: Ronald Michaels <rbm1024@NETSCAPE.NET> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Saturday, February 10, 2007 1:53:06 PM Subject: grease monkeys Recently Joy Hecht made a reference to "grease monkeys" as guys who just love to work on autos. This inspired me to write the following. Hello, My name is Ron and I am a Grease Monkey. My father was a Grease Monkey, as was his father before him (sawmills, steam engines, and suchlike). As a small child I watched my father work on cars for stock car drivers. He built roll cages into Ford bodies, built up wide reverse rim wheels, welded up blocks and cracked heads with nickel rods, overhaul flathead Ford V8 engines, make all sort of odd parts, and so forth. Old photographs from the late 1930s show him and my mother beside his 32 Ford Coup. We went to the races on the half mile dirt tracks in East Tennessee. The sounds were deafening and the thunder of the exhausts made my small child's chest hurt. I now live about 2 miles from a track and on Saturday nights in the summer I can hear the exhaust sounds from the races. After WWII in the South, working on cars was a rite of passage for young men. While most of my contemporaries were working on Ford Hot Rods, I was working away learning VW's. While I was in the Navy, I bought my first Porsche, a 57 Coupe. In order to get it running I had to rebuild the engine and replace second gear in the transmission. I later wrapped that car around a telephone pole (and broke the pole off). Several months later I bought a 57 Speedster with factory installed reclining seats (member poll content - modesty prevents me from saying more). Since I could just about afford parts, I did everything myself. My wife and I drove that car to Key West (and back) on our honeymoon. We joined the Peace Corps after I graduated with a BS in Engineering Physics. We were slated to become teachers but I was offered the job of Mechanical Superintendent at the Mole Game Reserve in Northern Ghana. It was all about Land Rovers and Bedford Trucks. It might be politically incorrect to refer to the Africans that I worked with as Grease Monkeys, but they were excellent mechanics. I then started working in the construction industry in the US and then in Africa and the Middle East. I remember many happy afternoons rushing home to continue to hone my skills as a Grease Monkey by performing necessary maintenance on whatever third world vehicle we owned at the time. While in Zimbabwe I had so much trouble with air cooled VW engines in the high altitude tropics that I made a solemn vow, and that was that I would never buy another air cooled vehicle (except lawn mowers) as long as I lived. I came home and went to Graduate School and continued to live in East Tennessee, where I bought K cars, replaced the odd starter, CV joint, overhauled my 78 bus engine (bought long before the above vow), etc. So last year when my wife wanted a vehicle to travel in, she bought a water cooled Westy, that same Westy that is now sitting in Redding CA waiting for a Boston Bob engine to be installed at California rates. Go Bob! My name is Ron and I am a Grease Monkey. I cannot help myself; it is my destiny to own a Vanagon. Ron