Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 11 Feb 2007 10:32:28 -0800
From:         Loren Busch <starwagen@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Charging Sealed Lead Acid Batteries

Two recent threads have mentioned the sealed lead acid batteries as used in UPS and golf carts, etc. Things like this: http://www.batterywholesale.com/battery-store/proddetail.html?prodID=2244 and other similar batteries. BTW, if you open up one of the $59 jump start units from Costco or the like that's what you will find inside, a 17 AH sealed lead acid battery. I have two such batteries that I acquired nearly ten years ago and use them in the field for powering my telescopes, etc. I charge them at home with a special wall wart type charger designed for such batteries. A bank of four of these (sell for around $33 no shipping if you hunt around on the Internet) seems about the right size to fit the Vanagon aux battery compartment.BUT, how will they hold up to a vehicle charging system? Info on some sites seems to indicate they will be okay, other info is ambiguous And the main reason I asked is because of my experience several years ago. I acquired two 65 AH sealed AGM batteries and used them when camping and to run some of my astronomy equipment. They were never hooked into the Vanagon charging system, charged them at home, placed under the rear seat, ran a heavy cord out to run laptop, etc. One of the batteries self destructed very fast, I was charging it with a FLAPS auto battery charger but using the setting on the charger for that kind of battery. When it went away I went to charging the second with the special charger mentioned above (much slower) designed for the type of batteries shown in the link above. The battery lasted for another couple of years but also went south. Because of that experience I've been hesitant to go with sealed or AGM batteries that are not specified for vehicle use and therefore vehicle charging systems. Can anyone lend any info on the suitability of the Vanagon chargiong system for maintaining such batteries in the vehicle? BTW, I understand that these batteries are not designated as 'Deep Cycle'.