Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 11 Feb 2007 17:19:29 -0800
From:         Joel Cort <joel_cort@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Question to the group about Vanagon shifting problem

Hi Guys, I am frantically trying to get my Syncro Westy running to participate in next week-ends True Canadian Winter Campout. I swapped the original (leaky) 110K miles motor with a Boston Bob and just got it tidied up and running yesterday. This engine had been sitting around for a while and it started right up and sounded like a lawn mower. As it warmed up it sounded more and more like our trusty Vanagon. Ok so I am beaming here. Its alive! its alive!..... To replace this engine, I left the tranny in the van and tipped it to remove and install the motor. I left the CVs, front mounts and the shifter mechanism was also connected to tranny. While it was tipped I drained as much of the oil as possible. Everything back together, new engine, new clutch, new oil seal behind the flywheel, fresh oil in the engine, fresh oil in the tranny. I put synthetic 80-90W in the tranny. New clutch works fine, nice and quiet but when I try to shift gears it goes into reverse or granny low but will not go in neutral or other gears. The gear location are hard to locate and the mechanism is very stiff. Yet from the tranny I can activate the shifting and it is all smooth by hand. I do not believe that I stressed any of the shifting mechanism, yet it does not work. What I did, was to remove the rod from the transmission where the linkage fits into the ball. This was all dry and crusty, but it worked fine when I pulled the van into the garage. I cleaned it up, no real wear or flat spots that I could see/feel, and packed some molly grease where the shifter ball sits in the cup. I reattached the linkage and tried shifting but no improvements from the lever. Should I look at the plastic parts in the shifter mechanism under the rug? Should I replace the ball and linkage on the transmission? Everything worked fine and shifted fine before the transplant. What to do and where should I start? Help I want to go camping!! Any help / advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys, Joel 89 Syncro Westy Rochester NY - In between the lake effects snows of NY jcort@rochester.rr.com joel_cort@yahoo.com ____________________________________________________________________________________ We won't tell. Get more on shows you hate to love (and love to hate): Yahoo! TV's Guilty Pleasures list. http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265