Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Feb 2007 00:08:08 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Batteries don't die, they get murdered
Comments: To: David Etter <detter@MAIL.AURACOM.COM>

I have written many posts explaining my thoughts on the Optima. I guess I was ignored.

Sealed batteries are great in theory. Experience tells battery guys otherwise. Unless you have an application that just can not accept some off gassing and a possible spill, (sail boat that may cap size), a conventional flooded cell will take more abuse, and outlast an AGM or gel battery. The main advantage of a normal battery is that when the electrolyte is driven off, water can be easily added. So called sealed batteries do have vents, (pressure relief), and once the solution wisp out, it is gone forever.

Dennis

WAS: the discussion on "BATTERIES FOR CAUNCKS"

Frank Condelli .."...was not impressed." and Lorne Busch has.."... been hesitant to go with sealed or AGM."

With heavyweights like those two, one begins to doubt Optimas claims... As do most other Optima owners.

I too got burnt when a pretty YellowTop Optima turned ugly simply through a lack of information. If you know it's limitations, and having done the math, you can decide whether it's worth the extra money.

Battery life is directly related to how deep the battery is cycled each time. If a battery is discharged to 50% of capacity every day, it will last about twice as long as if it is cycled to 80% DOD. If cycled only 10% DOD, it will last about 5 times as long as one cycled to 50% Most warranties and claims are usually based on "Depth of Discharge" (D.O.D.) to levels of only12.5 volts for wet-cell batteries and only 12.0 volts for deep discharge batteries. In many cases those levels can be reached in as little as an hour, depending on load .

BATTERY VOLTS VERSUS CHARGE LEVEL.:

100% = 12.7 Volts 90% = 12.5 Volts 75% = 12.4 Volts 50% = 12.2 Volts 25% = 11.9 Volts 10% = 11.3 Volts 0% = 10.5 Volts

The above chart is pretty close; different companies give slightly different rates.

Battery mfrs. avoid data such as "DISCHARGE and CHARGE RATES, DEPTH OF DISCHARGE". They know that if we believed batteries required far more care than their "MAINTENANCE FREE" promotion suggested. We would just buy the cheapest battery possible from Costco or Walmart and be money in over the long haul. DUH! And that's what we are doing,

Below are a few links for study. If you are going to spend all that money, time and effort in buying the right battery for your RV then you SHOULD spend some time learning about them. Don't complain if you are offered the information and fail to read it. Why I didn't see this information beforehand ticks me off; I guess I only have myself to blame. Who was it that said..."If you think education is expensive, you should consider the cost of ignorance"

GENERAL BATTERY INFORMATION:

http://www.phrannie.org/battery.html

http://www.wheelchairjunkie.com/batteryrules.html

http://www.vonwentzel.net/Battery/00.Glossary/

http://www.batterystuff.com/tutorial_battery.html

SPECIFIC BATTERY INFORMATION: Is NOT readily available... unless you go digging for it or read the very fine print.

e.g.Optima: YELLOWTOP Float Charge 13,2 to 13,8 volts,1 amp maximum current. Battery Charger.10 amps maximum,8-10 hours approximate. Deep Cycle refers to applications that typically discharge 60 -70% or more of the battery capacity.

PROMOTIONAL INFORMATION: Credibility gap here.

http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/new_cars/1266741.html

"The OPTIMAR is like no other battery found in today's market. OPTIMA's unique Spiralcell design offers the greatest technology in providing a strong and clean power source that far surpasses any of today's filled lead/acid batteries. With OPTIMA under your hood, you can count on a longer lasting battery life under starting and deep cycle applications".

Conclusion: If you buy an AGM battery, you should also buy a proper 3 stage electronic battery charger and learn to live within it's limitations or else buy a "Low Voltage Cutoff" switch.

One last thing...it's a personal bitching point of mine. I can't begin to count the number of times I have seen brand new cars in the showroom or car lot, being hooked up to a battery charger. Whether they left the dome light or parking lights on... the battery is DEAD, (not pining for the fiords.) Sorry Monty Python. I would never accept a new car with it's installed battery, ask for a new one off the shelf and witness IN PERSON, the replacement . The lifespan of the original battery can never be assured to be as advertised.

David Etter. (Optima yellow Top Victim)