Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Feb 2007 15:48:17 -0700
From:         alfred bagdan <abagdan@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Re: fridge problems

So we are back to the fridge problems. Here is a repost of a post I did a long time ago, it may be of help for some

I drive with my fridge on all the time. It is safe as the gas shuts off when the flame goes out (same as the furnace in your house).

I had this problem once and thanks to this list I fixed it. To keep the flame from blowing out, seal off around the outside air intake for the fridge so the air can only get in through the off center hole, and no air gets blown in from the sides through the cracks of the gasket.

You should take the outside vent cover off to see what I mean. It looks like sealing doesn't do anything, but it sure does. Just smear some sealant on the gasket and anyplace you think air would go in. The air has to go in from the off-center hole only, and not extra air from around the gaskets. Carefully put the vent cover back together. I used clear ATP sealant so any extra stuff is not visible.

Also listen if your fan is running in the back of the fridge. You'll hear it if it runs. My fan bracket was bent and the blade was jammed against the pipe. Drove like that for 14 years, the fridge only cooling so so. I did not know the fan even existed. Took the fridge out (there is a really good post in the archives on that) and lo and behold the fan was stuck. I also opened the fire box and there must have been a half a cup of residue in it. I also removed the orifice and soaked it in alcohol to clean the hole. Do not put needles or wires through the hole to clear it as that will damage it. I carefully put everything back together put the fridge back in the hole (careful that you don't shear off the spark wire as it is at the edge), sealed off around the vent outside and fired the fridge up. It works great now. I went for a 2 week trip and never shut the fridge off once. It was even making ice in the tray. There is also a good article on starting the fridge in the archives in case that is problematic.

I don't think you can increase cooling on DC as you already are supposed to run it on maximum.

Anyway, hope my rambling helps

Alfred 85 Vanagon (Westy)