Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Feb 2007 21:40:13 -0800
From:         Philip Zimmerman <philzimm1@OBERON.ARK.COM>
Subject:      '87 Vanagon GL ATF Cooler

-----Original Message----- alancshearer Sent: Monday, February 12, 2007 9:31 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: '87 Vanagon GL ATF Cooler

Alan wrote in part:

I want to replace the original cooler with an external aftermarket unit which will eliminate the possibility of mixing coolant and ATF. I'm = thinking if it's too difficult to remove the factory unit, maybe I could just = attach the aftermarket unit to the factory ATF unit.

I will appreciate constructive input from anyone who has actually dealt = with this problem. I am particularly interested in learning how to remove the defective ATF cooler. I also want to know what kind of aftermarket = coolers are being used. Thanks. --------------- Hi Alan,

Ken W's post covered the R&R part of your questions well and offered good solid advice for replacing your leaking unit with a new OEM unit. Sticker-Shock for a new cooler is to be expected... geeze are those OEM things expensive!

Your questions on replacing an OEM Cooler with an After-Market cooler are interesting ones. I have collected most of the parts I need to undertake this mod. Awaiting the arrival of Spring (warmer weather) to begin the installation. I assume in the following we are taking about a 2.1l engine with an AT.

The air to air "external" coolers you ask about will work somewhat Ok. Small Car performance sells them for the Subie Conversions they do on Vans with AT's. They offer a kit that supplies most of the needed parts. No mounting hardware for the cooler though. Price is attractive but the two owners of Vans with these installed I have talked to are not satisfied with the cooling the AT receives from this type of cooler. This said, The AC Vanagons with AT's did not have any type of Cooler installed.

Small Car link: http://www.smallcar.com/mm5/merchant.mvc? Screen=PROD&Store_Code=S&Product_Code=TCK&Category_Code=V

My issue with the Air to Air coolers is they don't extract heat from the ATF effectively, especially at low speeds. When you are stuck in traffic or struggling up a long steep grade on a hot day. Two conditions that really heat-up an AT. Getting sufficient airflow to this type of cooler on a Vanagon is difficult at best IMHO. Mounting a cooler up front with the radiator is possible but, the AT pump would die trying to pump the ATF through this long run of hose. Adding an Auxiliary Fan to a Cooler is possible. A number of self-contained Coolers are made like this. Fitting one, somewhere under the Van will be a difficult undertaking. The cooler is then vulnerable and exposed to significant damage from road debris. Additional electrics and an ATF thermostat would be required. More $$ and installation problems to solve along they way. A compromise of sorts. Separate the ATF from the Engine Coolant but at the cost of dumping all your ATF on the road!

The type of Cooler I settled on was a fluid to fluid type. Plumbs into the Van's cooling system. On the return line from the Radiator, between the Thermostat-Housing and the end of the Plastic return-line. Omits two expensive hoses from the cooling system and supplies the coolest-coolant to the Cooler! Harder to put into words than to show in a drawing. P-mail me if this interests you Alan.

Link:http://www.bakerprecision.com/aqp10.htm

or

Link:http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/mocal3.htm

I bought a used one off e-Bay for ~$50.