Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 13 Feb 2007 04:20:26 -0800
From:         Gary Bawden <goldfieldgary@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Rust by window seals
Comments: To: collum@verizon.net, RAlanen@AOL.COM

"Mike Collum" <collum@verizon.net> wrote, You know, of course, that that panel covering the slider mechanism has a Phillips head screw at each end (bend down and look up) that you can remove ... then tap up on the panel with a rubber hammer to get it out

and, Frank Condelli <RAlanen@AOL.COM> wrote, Gary, the way I have repaired these types of rust spots with holes as in your photos with POR-15 and Fiberglas matting. The patch will have to be done from the inside so will entail removing the paneling inside to do this. Follow the procedures for applying POR-15, apply a coat and lay on a piece of Fiberglas matting to cover the hole and surrounding metal for a bout 1" around. Let this get tacky all the while making sure the Fiberglas is well impregnated with the POR-15. Once it gets tacky apply a second coat of POR-15 and use POR-15 Patch to fill in from the outside, it does not have to be perfect. Then before it completely dries prime the outside with good automotive primer or let dry completely and use the POR-15 primer for use on cured POR-15 to bond to successive coats of paints. Once you have a good coat of primer then you can finish levelling off the imperfections on the outside using normal auto body fillers and surfaceres. I like to use epoxy finishing filler. POR-15 also makes a filler that works well in this instance. This method is the best by far that I have tried. Welding or brazing causes too much other damage that requires more clean up work and you still need to POR-15 both sides to get a good rust free repair. The POR-15ed patch will be as strong as welding the metal together when your done if done correctly

Ding! Ah, of course! Slider mechanism panel. Thanks, Mike!

And Frank, thanks for the very detailed explanation. This really takes the mystery out of it for me. I'll be ordering a small package of fiberglass, and I'll take some more photos as things progress.

Stay tuned for the next installment! Many thanks to everyone!

Gary

____________________________________________________________________________________ Get your own web address. Have a HUGE year through Yahoo! Small Business. http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/domains/?p=BESTDEAL