Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 13 Feb 2007 09:05:47 -0400
From:         "Giasson, Pascal (DNR/MRN)" <Pascal.Giasson@GNB.CA>
Subject:      Re: Coolant leak in cold storage
Comments: To: Tom Lambas <twlambas@GMAIL.COM>

I have the same thing happening with mine. I only noticed it three years ago when I hade a piece of sheet metal under the engine and noticed a small puddle come spring. No apparent leaking in the summer though. I have heard of others with the same problem, but I think it's just a matter of time before it turns into a bigger leak in the summer. I will be changing my mead gaskets this spring/summer...I should of replaced them last year when I had the engine out, water pump off, and the exhaust system off...but I was in denial...until I got the engine back in and noticed a small drop of coolant at the bottom the right head gasket...arghhh.

BTW, I also used the orange dexcool coolant when I first got the Westy in 2003 and after getting the grey sludge in the expansion tank after two years I decided to go back to the green phosphate free. From what I could gather from the research I did was the dexcool reacts with "traditional" green coolants. I flushed the system really well when I switched from green to orange and back again, but maybe some green coolant was still in there somewhere. The dexcool also reacts with air...no need to say any more there with the Wasser leakers! The dexcool will also be more prone to leaking out because it is "thinner" than traditional coolant. Also, the dexcool is slower at protecting against corrosion and needs to be circulated regularly to protect from corrosion, which might not be the best choice for folks like you and me who store their Westies in the winter. I changed my water pump last summer as preventative maintenance and the impeller had quite a bit of corrosion on it and had just stated to scratch the case, but the pump bearings were still fine. I know several folks on the list use dexcool with no problems, but maybe they run their vans year round and have an airtight system (which I know they should be but a darn hard thing to achieve!)

Also, one thing I started doing this winter is to circulate the coolant in the engine by taking the alternator belt off, I put an old belt on the water pump and use an electric drill to turn the water pump to circulate the coolant in the engine...might not do much but at least I feel better...this won't do anything for the heater cores and radiator as the thermostat would be closed with cold coolant.

Pascal '84 Westy