Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 Feb 2007 14:26:22 -0500
From:         Sam Walters <sam.cooks@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: More on Syncro tires.
Comments: To: lnjhogue@eastlink.ca

Jeff,

I'll assume the steel Porsche wheels are 15", will fit the Syncro, and that a plethora is 5 or more. If so, or maybe if it is only 4, one might ask why buy the alloys to begin with, particularly since you have the equipment to mount the tires on wheels. Why not try those tires on the steel wheels to see if the fit issues are present, and, if so but minimal, worth the trouble.

If you want to go with 4 alloys and one Porsche wheel, then there is this question. Are the Porsche steel wheels the same width and offset? The wheel's width impacts the actual circumference of the mounted tire - same tire on different width wheel will have a different circumference. So, the general recommendation is to have 5 matching wheels and tires.

A patch kit will work and may be enough if you aren't ever out alone in areas where you are likely to cut the sidewall of a tire.

It was my carelessness, but the only time I have ever cut a sidewall through was in the city when I took a corner too tight and scraped the edge of a mid corner placed drain gutter. This was my original 84 Vanagon. The only sidewall cut I have gotten on my Syncro's BFG AT KO's didn't go through and I luckily discovered it while putting highway pressure air in the tires in preparation for the 2.5 hour drive back to Baltimore after Syncro de Mayo Este '06.

Just a few more thoughts.

Sam

-- Sam Walters

Baltimore, MD