Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 Feb 2007 12:46:43 -0500
From:         Benny boy <huotb@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Re: My 2 cents on head leaks and rubber studs
Comments: To: Gary Hradek <hradek@YAHOO.COM>

"""I think that the rubber seal is the real problem. It is just the worst gasket system ever designed.""""

I FULLY agree, i have said here ""numerous time"" that this engine design SU**. We all now it's a POOR evolution the the Beetle engine!!!

As for that "Stretching stud story", i don't agree that they strech to a point of NO return, some are... softer but can still be use, if a stud as been stretch to a point that even screwed all the way the bolt doesn't touch the head, put that engine in the garbage, an over-stretch stud is a sign. When i torque the heads (and we are now in 2007... not in 1990/engine are way older), i use judgement! i don't only look at that gauge on the TW.

The Bentley is somewhat wrong! instead of doing 2 rounds of "torque" sequence, do 4! if not 5 of the X patern AND BEGIN of the pushrods side!!!!, start by hand and feel the bolt. Also, i just read on another thread that someone was using the Grey Permatex on the outside HG, sorry bro but WRONG, not in 2007, the gray is barely good for the valve cover.... IT DOESN'T hold against coolant, If someone is using other stuff than "The Right Stuff", you don't know what you are doing... Dirko is the worse... especially for colder weather....

I don't know why those "Sealing" heads threads keep comming back... it's olf stuff.

2 month ago i had to re-seal an 2.1L that was done 10 month before, it was sealed with the 2 tube included in the Reinz gasket kit, the owner was there at the time of sealing... the mechanic never did a wasser. The sealant had become DRY, cooked and it was detach from the head on 2 spot. The head were pitted, i use a Dupont Aluminum cleaner in 2 parts, let it soak for 1 night, believe me, there is no dirt in those pitting spot the next day, i don't put JB there! i filled the pitting with the right suff, put a final coat and thats it... if you don't believe me, do a test yourself, take an old head, put the sealer on the pitting, drip the head in a bucket of coolant, let is soak for a month... and try to pull the sealant out... you'l see. now, do the same with some grey Permatex, it will be detch from the heads in few days... yea, i did the test 3 years ago so others can benefit.

Bahhh... you guys do what ever you want :-) http://www.benplace.com/amc_head/amc9.jpg