Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 Feb 2007 13:49:49 -0800
From:         Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Batteries don't die, they get murdered

--snip-- > How was it determined that it was the battery that exploded? --snip--

Well.... when we went over to look at the thing after a couple of minutes of no more surprises we found the battery was missing and in its place was some debris of various sorts and the battery cables with the terminals still in them. Judging from that and the fact that everything else that was supposed to be in the engine compartment was accounted for, we deduced that the explosion came from the battery.

The sequence of events went like this: The Jeep pulled into the parking space, the guy turned it off, they sat for a few more seconds then got out, the passenger waited 'til the driver caught up to him at the front passenger corner and as they turned to walk toward the building there was an explosion. The hood took off forward of the vehicle, did a couple of end-overs and landed upside down in the grass. The two dudes went flat on their faces- I think in part because they just hit the deck but they both said they felt the push from behind. IIRC, the battery was in the corner of the firewall and the fender right in front of the passenger. There were all kinds of scorches and splotches in the engine compartment but I remember looking the guys over for acid burns and the like and not seeing any. Also IIRC the guy said it was basically a new battery.

Cya, Robert