Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 Feb 2007 17:26:09 -0500
From:         Kenneth Lewis <kdlewis@NORTHSTATE.NET>
Subject:      Re: The dreaded AFM adjustment screw
Comments: To: Mike Frost <wasserleaker@GMAIL.COM>

Mike, Before I start "experimenting" with stuff like the AFM I try to make some notes as to where all the settings are before I change them. That way I can return to the starting position incase I get "wrapped around the axle". For the idle bypass screw ; insert the Allen wrench and notice where the short arm is pointing, say twelve O'clock. Then count the turns it takes to bottom out and write that number down in a safe place. Then back it out the same number of turns and it should be in the same place. You can also adjust the spring tension on the vane. Clockwise tightens the spring and leans out the mixture. I think of it as a coarse adjustment and the bypass screw as fine tuning. You can benchmark the spring position by either scratching the black, plastic wheel or counting the number of clicks, counterclockwise, it takes to lift the vane off of the stop. I would be interested in that number. I have successfully used your method (before going to Emissions Testing) many times. The last time though, I think the O2 sensor was bad. This caused me to loosen the spring too much, which coincidentally, gave similar symptoms. The truck had a terrible hesitation off of idle.

If all else fails, a new catalytic converter always results in Emission numbers in the single digits. YMMV.

Ken Lewis http://neksiwel.20m.com/