Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Feb 2007 08:32:38 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Batteries don't die, they get murdered
Comments: To: Richard A Jones <jones@colorado.edu>

You're right, my bad! I wrote before thinking all the way through. Open circuit voltage, at rest is the key. However, as soon as any load is placed including internal leakage, the high resistance of a cold battery will drop the voltage quickly. As for why, as the electrolyte cools it becomes denser. Has the same effect at the plates as increasing the specific gravity. However, the chemical reaction speed drops so the current delivery goes down.

Dennis

-----Original Message----- From: Richard A Jones [mailto:jones@colorado.edu] Sent: Thursday, February 15, 2007 1:09 AM To: Dennis Haynes Cc: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Batteries don't die, they get murdered

Dennis wrote: > The open circuit voltage of a battery goes up as temperature goes up. The > required charging voltage goes down as temperature goes up. > > Dennis

This is not true. Why do you state this? From what source?

It is true that battery "capacity" goes down with temperature. That's why sizing guides suggest 50% capacity at freezing compared to 80 degrees. But resting voltage goes UP and so does required charging voltage.

One of the links I included in my original post states: http://www.trojan-battery.com/Tech-Support/BatteryMaintenance/Charging.aspx "6. Correct the charging voltage to compensate for temperatures above and below 80o F. (Add .028 volt per cell for every 10o below 80o F and subtract .028 volt per cell for every 10o above 80o F)"

And from: http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-13.htm "A cold battery would show slightly higher voltages and a hot battery would be lower."

And from: http://www.solarnavigator.net/lead_acid_batteries.htm "Battery charging voltage also changes with temperature. It will vary from about 2.74 volts per cell (16.4 volts) at -40 C to 2.3 volts per cell (13.8 volts) at 50 C. This is why you should have temperature compensation on your charger or charge control if your batteries are outside and/or subject to wide temperature variations."

And: http://www.uuhome.de/william.darden//carfaq9.htm#stages see the chart cited from Bosch showing declining charging voltage with increasing temperatures--after section 9.3.1.

I admit this seems counter-intuitive. It took me a while to catch on. I maintain the photovoltaic system at a mtn hut at 10,500' where we had several years of problems with low voltage cutoff of the lights. I finally figured out that 14.4 charging voltage when the batteries are 18 degrees F meant batteries that were less than 40% charged. Trojan told me the charging voltage should be 15.8! Since setting the charge controller, we have had no problems.

The compensation factors for charging voltage and for measuring resting voltage are the same--.028V per cell per 10 degrees F. Call Trojan at 800-423-6569--I did.

Here are battery state-of-charge numbers at 30 degrees F: 100% 13.57 90 13.46 80 13.34 70 13.21 60 13.08 50 12.94

I have measured the resting voltage with the batteries below 20 degrees and seen voltages well above 13V. I can imagine why the charging voltage needs to go up with lower temperature--voltage = pressure and a colder solution--but I can't imagine why the resting voltage goes up. That's why I say counter-intuitive. Maybe some chemical engineer can explain. No battery site I have found tries to explain it. Also, battery sites tend to point out the relationship between temperature and charging voltage, but neglect it with resting voltage--although including it with specific gravity tests. E.g.: http://www.trojan-battery.com/Tech-Support/BatteryMaintenance/Testing.aspx

Anyway, lower temps mean higher battery resting voltage, higher charging voltage requirements--but lower battery capacity.

I am not making this up.

Richard Boulder