Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 17 Feb 2007 09:36:13 -0800
From:         BenT Syncro <syncro@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: NVC-just silly & still Fri somewhere
Comments: To: "annasan1@comcast.net >Anna QS<" <annasan1@comcast.net>

On 2/17/07, annasan1@comcast.net >Anna QS< <annasan1@comcast.net> wrote: > > > > Reminded me of a call I got when I worked for Kaiser Permanente as a > teleph advice nurse . . . a lady was pretty freaked because of odd yellowing > to one hand. She was imagining all sorts of calamities. And from her past > history & her answers to my questions AND that I couldn't see her over the > phone; I advised her to go in to check it out. She did. Doctor shot back a > humored reply - - pickle juice stains! She had been dipping into the sweet > butter pickles with that hand. Oh, the things we worry about! Not so weird > as the one where a lady asked if snake spit would hurt a baby . . .turns out > their 6ft boa was found on bed with the napping 3 mo old . . .with the > baby's head completely inside snake's mouth! While another nurse called > police & protective services, the woman was kept on the phone .... guess the > family had a dubious history with both agencies, can't remember how it all > ended but sheesh! > - ahhh - can't wait for rainless weekends and warmth!!! > - Anna & '86 'Blue Mongrel'

And that reminds me of when I used to work at "the phone company". We had a persistent complainer call in a problem with her dog. She said her dog barks every time the phone rings. After more than a dozen calls over a period nearly a year no most technicians had come to tag her as an "XYZ". That was a code we used for the telephone equivalent of a hypochondriac. The complaint calls persisted.

It reports eventually landed on my desk for analysis. Frankly, I didn't really know where to start or think. I wondered if there really was a problem. We did get quite a few of these wackos calling in for everything from the phone number for Mr. Lyon at the Zoo to trying to get a tech to determine their bra cup size -- on a male customer. Anyway, I sent a tech out to test with the service with me on the line -- phone line. I'll be damned. The dog braked every single time the phone rang. Must have super hearing because my tech said the dog is OUTSIDE in the yard and three floors below where the phone was. The double pane windows were closed tight. Sent the tech outside to test from a remote phone with the ringers off. Dang the dog JUMPED when the call ring in even w/o a bell. Poor thing is chained to the water pipe. That could only mean one thing. The phone service ground wire was connected to that water pipe.

The woman? She's now a happy customer an de-tagged XYZ. The dog was happier, I'm sure.

Cheers,

BenT